Should the legal age to drive be lowered to 14?

First, the biggest reason Iowa doesn’t lower the legal age to drive is because of all the safety concers people have with teens. They believe that once you hit age 16 you are closer to being an adult. Iowans believe that two years of driving on one route “school permit” is a good start for teenagers who are starting to drive. In my opion if you pass drivers ed and get a school permit, you should be able to drive wherever you want. If they trust you to drive to school, they should let you drive wherever. Fourteen year olds are more than responsible enough to drive if they passed drivers ed. 

Second, some people think that the legal driving age should stay the same, even go up to eighteen. People don’t believe that teenagers should be driving on their own, until they are an adult. Older people wanted to not have teenagers be able to drive because they don’t want to get hit. In my opion older people shouldn’t be able to drive once they hit a certain age. Not saying that old people shouldn’t drive but the roads are very dangerous for older people. Research shows that teenagers are a huge cause of most accidents on the road. 

Should the driving age be lowered? Why?

Do you drive wherever on a learners permit?

If so, what age should it be lowered to?

https://www.ipl.org/essay/Benefits-Of-Lowering-The-Driving-Age-Essay-F3XAM3FBG5PV

https://www.keepdriving.com/why-driving-age-should-not-be-lowered/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think it should, I mean if the driving age were to be lowered to 14 I think there would be more accident reports and just overall be more dangerous. Sure you can get your permit at 14, that's fine where its at and you can get your license at 16. Maybe if they altered it to 15 it wouldn't be the worst but I mean sometimes people can get cocky with their driving and that's where accidents happen. So no, I think everything is fine where its at.

• I think the driving age should stay where its at. Most 14 year olds arent responsible enough and there would probably be more accidents. I think 16 is the perfect age to start driving and 15 your permit. I think having your parents driving with you at 14 is better so they can really teach you. 

• I do not think the driving age should be moved down to 14. Maybe 15, so you have 1 year on a learners permit then get your licence. But, 14 year olds are to immature to have their licence. One year on a learners permit would be good.

• I don't think the drivers age should be lowered. It could create more wrecks from inexperienced drivers. Young drivers don't have enough experience for all roads, and driving on one route to school everyday is good practice for them. 

• I personally do not think that the age of driving should be lowered. its not safe. some 14 year olds are not mature enough and would have many accidents. 15 is good for a school permit and 16 is good for driving around wherever. I am 16 so I don't one certain place I have to drive to.

• I agree with 15 having to be able to drive anywhere.

• I personally think that the driving age should not be lowered. It can cause more wrecks on the roadways. Student's that drive off of their route when they are belowe the age of 16 can get in trouble.

• In my opinion, the driving age shouldn't be lowered. I think lowering the age would cause a lot more wrecks. I think that kids can be very irresponsible when driving, they get distracted easily, and can't multitask very well when driving. Therefore the driving age shouldn't be lowered. 

• I do not think that the driving age should be lowered because most kids aren't as cautious. I think that kids are more likely to not pay attention and get into crashes or what not. I think that the age should remain the same at 16 years old. It is safest and allows kids to learn longer on their permits.

• I dont think it should be lowered because most crashes are younger kids and older people. I think by lowereing the age the crash rates will go up. I personally did not drive all over at 14. I think 16 year olds are more mature and have 2 more years of driving expirience. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker