Should the drinking age be lowered?

The drinking age is 18 in 65% of the world. The lowest drinking age in the world is 15, but some countries don’t even have a limit. There are many pros and cons to lowering the drinking age. In the U.S there are some state-by-state expectations like consumption at home, under adult supervision, and medical necessity. In the United States, the legal majority for almost everything else is 18. For example, the voting age, enrolling in the military, and you can get married or signing almost any legal document without a parents consent when you turn 18. 

By the time 60% of people are 18 they would have had at least one alcoholic drink. That shows that most people already drink alcohol. I think that part of so many underage people drinking is the thrill of breaking the law. If we lowered the drinking age then it could solve many more problems. People tend to use fake I.Ds and can get in more trouble because they are doing more illegal stuff.

I think the drinking age should be lowered. I think it will help stop someone from drinking and driving accidents, I say this because if you are allowed to drink then you can stay wherever you are drinking whereas if you are underage then you would have to drive home or leave before anything happens. If you are allowed to get drafted into the military, you should be able to decide what you put in your body. One of the biggest reasons was that kids would show up to school drunk, I think that if a student comes to school with alcohol in them then they could get a public intoxication and should be sent home.

Do you think that the drinking age should be lowered?

If so what age do you think it should be lowered to?

Why do you think the drinking age should be lowered/stay the same?

sources 

https://www.procon.org/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think that drinking age should be lowered. Drinking alcohol can become addictive and it isn't safe for highschool students to be drinking everynight or even every weekend. This could also impact the focus of students on school, extra curriculars, and more. 

• It won't be legal for all highschoolers to drink. Most kids don't even turn 18 until they graduate high school. 

• I think the drinking age should be lowered to 18. When you turn 18 you are now an adult so you should be mature enough to know when you can and can't drink. On the other hand, some 18 year olds arent mature enough which could cause many more incidents to happen that relate with alcohol. 

• I agree, some people might not be mature enough.

• In Germany, we are legally allowed to drink beer and vine by 16 and other alcohol when we're 18. I think that you should be responsible enough to know what you want to put into your body. Still, drinking is not good for you, so I can understand the high drinking age. However, you should be mature enough with 18 to know what's good for you and take responsibility for your body and actions. 

• I agree, you should be mature enough to handle yourself. 

• I think the drinking age should be lowered. I think that 18 should be the legal drinking age for the US. I think that a lot of people are already breaking this law anyways that they might as well just lower it and save everyone the trouble. 

• I agree, it could save everyone the trouble. 

• I think that the drinking age should be lowered to 16-18. Regardless of the law that people have to be over 21 to consume alcohal, many teens still drink. I think, if the age were lowered, teens would drink more responsibly because part of the fun of drinking as a teen is being rebelious. So if the age was lowered, it would be safer for teens.

• I agree, it could be safer for teens if it was lowered. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker