Should tests be open book?

Should Tests be Open Book?

Ever Feel stressed out because you have a really big exam and you've completely forgotten half of it? Many teachers are starting to allow their students to take notes during class and allow them to use them for the test under the teachers' approval of the notes taken. 

There are a lot of pros to this topic such as, lowering test stress rates, helping students engage more in class, and changes in class habits. Most students have a hard time remembering the class materials. 

With pros also comes many cons, starting with many teachers being afraid that students may use the notes to cheat, students might switch out the notes with a sheet that could have the answers on it. 

I think students should be able to have open note tests and have teachers look carefully over there and if teachers have the fear that students may cheat then they can maybe have the students put their bags away from their desks so that the bag isn't accessible. But then again i understand that teachers may not like these because of how sneaky students can get. 

Do you think open Note tests are smart?

If you were a teacher would you allow your students to have open note tests?

https://completeliterature.com/are-open-book-exams-a-closed-case-the-pros-and-cons/

https://mrdmath.com/why-take-an-open-note-test/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that we should be able to have open note tests in all subjects. Not only do we have homework for other classes, but we have personal things to do outside of school aswell. If I were a teacher I would let my students have open note tests, because you might not have the time to study for your upcoming test/quiz.

• I agree, note taking is something everyone needs to develop before they are so used to having to remember everything that is told to them 

• I think that if your teacher lets you use your notes, that it would help a lot of kids pass their tests. But on the other hand some kids could use other peoples notes and then they really didnt learn anything.

• I agree, if teachers assign a open test they should have the students turn in notes and then maybe they can also get points for taking notes that day and be able to get points on the test cause they were able to get accurate notes 

• I belive that there should be some open test but not all and under certain rules. Like it could help with stress and urge kids to take notes. It would help with test scores but only to a certain point. Kids should be able to use thier notes but along with that you still have to study. 

• I agree, no matter what students should always study but sometimes students have absolutly no time to study that nught and their only option is to either get up early to study or stay up late and study and both can cause a students focus level decrease. tired students dont want to be at school let alone take a test tired. 

• I belive that not all test should be open book depending on how important that test was. But I do think that some should test should be open book so kids don't always have to stress about a test they didn't do much studying for.

• I agree, test score would improve so much and it makes it so much more enjoyable to be able to have a cushion if you forgot when or what something is

• I do belive that open book test are smart and would help a lot of the test scores go up. If I was a teacher I would not let all my tests be open book but I would have a little bit of notes on each of the test that I make. Open book test would be used for large tests.

• I agree, Open notes would help so much on larger test but things like quizzes should have a little boost to help those that need it 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker