Should test retakes be allowed?

Some students can be great students and get their work done but be bad test takers. Should that one test be the reason their grade goes down tremendously? Some teachers allow test retakes and some are completely against it. But letting kids able to retake a test could help their grades and help them understand the material.

Some people say that allowing retakes makes the kids not really care about the first test and not try their hardest if they know they are able to retake the test. If students know that they can retake it why would they study now when they could study later since they have the option to retake it? They say that they should be prepared the first time they take the test and not get the option to retake it.  This also puts the teacher with more work. They have to not only make more tests but spend time grading the second test.

There are also people that are for it. Some students are just not good at taking tests. Deadlines and tests give anxiety to some students and can cause them not to do good on the test. Not all students would take advantage of the retakes and they wouldn't need it. But if they had a bad test then it would be there for their benefit. Some teachers allow retakes but don't make it that easy to retake the test. There are forms to fill out and work to do in order to retake the test, and some teachers only allow so many retakes so kids aren't using it to their advantage. There are also some teachers that average out your score. So they take your first test and your second test and base your grade on that.

I think that retakes should be an option. Even straight-A students can have a bad test and use the retake so it doesn't bring down their grade. I think that their are definitely kids that would abuse this and use it on every test. Teachers could do something about that if it was happening. I think the retest forms and the work you do with them are a good idea so it causes the kid to do some work before they take the second test and help them learn the material for the test.

Do you think that kids should be able to retake tests?

If so, should they be able to retake every test, or should there be a limit?

https://www.edweek.org/education/opinion-why-should-we-allow-students-to-retake-assessments/2020/07 

https://www.edutopia.org/article/case-not-allowing-test-retakes/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that retakes should be allowed to students who don't take one every test. There should also be a limit on how many times you are aloud to retest each semester. It gives the students to retake a test if they didn't study for it or just don't understand it.

• I agree I don't think students should be able to retake every single test and there should be a limit.

• Indefinitely I think that being able to retest is a good thing. Some students want the best score. If the student commits more the second time they are more likely to at least like that second score more.  Like you said It can help them understand and learn but  Most students will not use this opportunity to improve their score and their knowledge.

• I think that test retakes should be an option for every student. I think that students with a full schedule and are in sports dont have a lot of time to study and can be stressed and that would cause them to fail. By giving them a second chance it could give them time to study or help them know what they did wrong. 

• I agree, some students are very busy and don't always have time to study.

• I think that retaking tests should be an option for everybody. Everybody can have a bad day and fail a test even if they have been studying for the test. Giving a second opporunity will release stress from students and let them prove better what they know. I think having a limit is a good idea so students don't abuse it because they know they are going to have a second opportunity.

• I agree, even a good student can have a bad day and do badly on a test and they should get the option to retest.

• I think that retakes should be an option for every student. I think that kids go under a lot of pressure and can fail the test even if they know the material. I think that you should be able to retake the test at least one time. I think that students should have to go through a retake process to be able to retake the test. 

• I agree, I think it should definitely be an option and they should get to take it at least once.

• I think that kids should be able to retake tests. I think that sometimes people are bad test takers, or have a bad day, or don't feel good etc. I have had bad test scores before and they ruined my grade. It's hard to get your grade up from them. So I believe having the opportunity to retake tests is nice. I think a limit is good though so people know they can't abuse it.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker