Should teens have to wear seatbelts?

Having to wear seatbelts hasn’t always been a law. It wasn’t until 1959 when Congress passed a law requiring that all cars must have something for safety. Lap belts were what people would usually choose but in accidents you had the potential to cause separation of the lumbar vertebrae. By 1965 all states had laws to require seat belts in vehicles.

The seatbelt design that is used today was created by a Swedish engineer Nils Bohlin in 1959. People's opinions opposed to seatbelts claims that “As long as the life risked is his own, I believe the individual should decide whether or not to use safety belts is wise.” Ralph Nader published his best selling book in 1965 ‘Unsafe at any Speed’. A decade later nearly 40,000 people died in the US from car accidents. 

“Ineffective, inconvenient and uncomfortable” are the thoughts of drivers that participated in a survey in 1985. People would go as far as cutting the seatbelts out. In my opinion I think for the people's safety and yours in the car you should wear one. If you are alone in your car I guess it’s really up to you but I still think it’s a good thing to have a law on seat belts.

Do you think we should be required to wear seatbelts?

Do you think that teans should have to wear seatbelts in the back like adults?

From Scorn to Worn: The curious history of seat belts > Columbus Air Force Base > Article Display.

The History of Seatbelts from Transfinder.

A Seat Belt History Timeline - Your AAA Network

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and well done Kyrsten! I do think your summary could have added a bit more history and opinions.

• Yes, I think we should have to wear seatbelts. I know of someone who lost their life from not wearing one and he probably would have lived if he had one on. They may be uncomfortable but they can also be lifesaving.

• I think not only teens but everyone should be required to wear seatbelts in my opinion. I think this because seatbelts can be the difference between saving your life and you flying through a windshield head-first if you crash. I think wearing seatbelts might seem unecessary but they can be a big difference in unfortunate situations. 

• I think that everyone should have to be required to wear a seat belt at all ages. I think that it doesn't matter what age you are anything could happen. I do kinda agree with the law where adults don't have to wear a seatbelt in the back seat.

• Personally, I think teens should have to wear seatbelts when in a vehicle. Seatbelts are meant to keep drivers and passengers safe, and they greatly reduce the risk of serious injury or death if one were to get into a collision with another vehicle. 

• I personally think you should have to wear a seatbelt. However, if you want to die in a car crash, go for it. If you've done any research, you would know that seatbelts cut death in car crashes and injuries 50% of the time. So why would you want to take the risk if you were to get into a crash?

• I think that teens should be required to wear seatbelts because people are more likely to get injured if they are not wearing a seatbelt. Also, I think I am more aware of my surrondings when I am wearing a seatbelt because I remember safety and to look out at the people around me more.

• Very often I forget to put on my seatbelt, and to be honest I am bad about wearing a seatbelt. I definitely think seatbelts save lives, I just forget to put mine on sometimes. When I have passengers or ride with someone I am way better about wearing a seatbelt, it helps remind me because I do not want to put other peoples life at risk. I think that teens should be required to wear seatbelts.

• Seatbelts are a law for a very good reason. If you are in a collision, not wearing a seatbelt could almost certainly ensure your death if you are to fly out of your windshield. I have heard stories about people who don't wear seatbelts crushing other passengers to death, so it isn't just an individual's decision.

• I think that it should be optional if you want to wear a seatbelt or not if you are over the age of 16. However, if you chose to not wear it you will be more at risk to die in a car crash by a very high percentage. If it was made a law then I would personally not wear my seatbelt because it is uncomfortable and I don't think I will get in a crash anytime soon.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker