Should teens have to wear seatbelts?

Having to wear seatbelts hasn’t always been a law. It wasn’t until 1959 when Congress passed a law requiring that all cars must have something for safety. Lap belts were what people would usually choose but in accidents you had the potential to cause separation of the lumbar vertebrae. By 1965 all states had laws to require seat belts in vehicles.

The seatbelt design that is used today was created by a Swedish engineer Nils Bohlin in 1959. People's opinions opposed to seatbelts claims that “As long as the life risked is his own, I believe the individual should decide whether or not to use safety belts is wise.” Ralph Nader published his best selling book in 1965 ‘Unsafe at any Speed’. A decade later nearly 40,000 people died in the US from car accidents. 

“Ineffective, inconvenient and uncomfortable” are the thoughts of drivers that participated in a survey in 1985. People would go as far as cutting the seatbelts out. In my opinion I think for the people's safety and yours in the car you should wear one. If you are alone in your car I guess it’s really up to you but I still think it’s a good thing to have a law on seat belts.

Do you think we should be required to wear seatbelts?

Do you think that teans should have to wear seatbelts in the back like adults?

From Scorn to Worn: The curious history of seat belts > Columbus Air Force Base > Article Display.

The History of Seatbelts from Transfinder.

A Seat Belt History Timeline - Your AAA Network

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that there should be a requirement for the driver and the person in the passenger to wear a seatbelt. I think that instead of there being an age requirement for the back seat I think it should be based upon mass. I also think that you should be at least 16 and up to not be able to wear a seatbelt.

• I dont get why mass would take place in this. Just because someone is older bigger smaller anything they all can get hurt and someone cares about them. Just be safe and put the seatbelt on. 

• Yes, I think that teens should wear seatbelts. I think that everyone should wear seatbelts.  Many fatal car crashes are because people are not wearing their seat belts. I think that the best thing would be to make everyone wear seatbelts when they are in the car no matter where they are.

• Yes I think that teens should have to wear seatbelts and everyone should wear them because they are the only thing keeping you stuck if you get into a crash so you don't severe  hurt yourself

• I think that teens and adults should wear seatbelts. With more crashes happening and people texing on thier phones the roads have became more dangerous. I think that many accident deaths could have been avoided by wearing a seatbelt. 

• Yes I agree there are many distractions nowadays 

• Yes, I think we should have to wear seatbelts. I know of someone who lost their life from not wearing one and he probably would have lived if he had one on. They may be uncomfortable but they can also be lifesaving.

• I think that even adults should have to wear seatbelts. Its one little thing that you have to do and it can save your life. More people need to start doing it so they can be safe. Its very helpful for everyone in the car if you wear seatbelts. There have been many people that could have survived a car crash if they wore their seatbelt.

• Yes i agree just be safe than sorry

• I do think that teens should be required to wear seatbelts. No matter the age I think everyone should wear a seatbelt because they save lives. The roads and drivers can be unpredictable and seatbelts are a good idea to protect yourself as well as others in the car. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker