Should teens be able to go on birth control?

Birth control is an oral contraceptive drug that women all over the world take. It prevents pregnancy and helps with other things women struggle with.. However many don't take  birth control. Some parents do not allow their children to take it. I had many positives and negatives.

To start, there are many disadvantages to birth control. For example about 9 out of 100 people taking combination birth control pills will get pregnant in the first year of use. Taking the pill can cause birth defects, headaches, nausea, bloating, increased blood pressure and so much more. People also have to take the pill everyday at the same time, otherwise it will not work. Some people  believe that birth control promotes “sexual behaviors.” Another negative is the longer you take birth control the harder it is for you to get pregnant in the future. 

Birth Control  also has positives. Birth control raises the odds of getting some cancers,and  lowers other cancers. Studies show that individuals who take the pill have 30%-50% lower risk of ovarian cancer than others. The longer you take the pill the less likely you get this cancer. Another positive is obviously it prevents pregnancy and helps with acne, cramps, menstrual cycle, etc. The longer you take the pill the less chance to get pregnant later on in life. 

In conclusion, birth control has many positives and negatives. I believe that teens should be able to go on birth control. It helps with many things. 

Would you let your teenage girl go on birth control pills? 

Do you think birth control pills are useful or not useful? 

How old should you be to get on birth control? 

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/adolescent-pregnancy

https://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/other-benefits-birth-control

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control/birth-control-pill/what-are-the-benefits-of-the-birth-control-pill

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think teens should be able to have birth control, it can help with teen pregnancy and can help teens with cramps, having birth control is not just for pregnancy and can serve many other purposes. so I think that birth control should be given to teens if they want it.

• i agree, it has lots of different reasoning

• I do think that birth control should be available to teens. I understand why some paretns might not like the idea of it, but it helps with some many other things. I think that 14-15 is a good age if someone is wanting to start birth control.

• i agree with that age if the oarents dont know if they shoukd put them on it they should ask the doctors

• I think that birth control should be accessible to all women. I think that birth control can help a lot of young teens and also prevent somethings that they don't want happening right now. I think if I had a daughter and she wanted to get on it I would let her be on it.

• i agree, if my daighter was having bad cramps or somethinf i would let her go on it

• I think that birth control should be available for all women. Birth control isn't just used to have safe sex, it's also for health reasons. If a teenage girl has extremely painful periods that have her on the floor in pain, then she should be able to just eliminate her period. So yes, I firmly believe that a teenage girl should be able to have birth control, even if not for health reasons.

• I agree, not everyone goes on birth contorl just for safe sex, it helps with lots of different things

• I think birth control is very useful for many reasons. I think teens should be able to go it after they get there period. That age is probably 14 ish. It depends on the person. Good topic. 

• I agree, and i think aoreund that age is a good age, thank you mylee:)

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker