Should teens be able to go on birth control?

Birth control is an oral contraceptive drug that women all over the world take. It prevents pregnancy and helps with other things women struggle with.. However many don't take  birth control. Some parents do not allow their children to take it. I had many positives and negatives.

To start, there are many disadvantages to birth control. For example about 9 out of 100 people taking combination birth control pills will get pregnant in the first year of use. Taking the pill can cause birth defects, headaches, nausea, bloating, increased blood pressure and so much more. People also have to take the pill everyday at the same time, otherwise it will not work. Some people  believe that birth control promotes “sexual behaviors.” Another negative is the longer you take birth control the harder it is for you to get pregnant in the future. 

Birth Control  also has positives. Birth control raises the odds of getting some cancers,and  lowers other cancers. Studies show that individuals who take the pill have 30%-50% lower risk of ovarian cancer than others. The longer you take the pill the less likely you get this cancer. Another positive is obviously it prevents pregnancy and helps with acne, cramps, menstrual cycle, etc. The longer you take the pill the less chance to get pregnant later on in life. 

In conclusion, birth control has many positives and negatives. I believe that teens should be able to go on birth control. It helps with many things. 

Would you let your teenage girl go on birth control pills? 

Do you think birth control pills are useful or not useful? 

How old should you be to get on birth control? 

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/adolescent-pregnancy

https://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/other-benefits-birth-control

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control/birth-control-pill/what-are-the-benefits-of-the-birth-control-pill

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I believe that it should be allowed for students to go on birth control. It should be a decision parents take because they are the ones that know their kids better, instead of the goverment. It helps with multiple things and is beneficial for many people. 

• I agree, and i think if the parents wont let them that they should talk to the doctor and ask them whats the best decison

• Personally, I think that teens should be able to go on birth control. It helps with a lot more than just preventing pregnancy. I think that any girl over the age of 13 should be able to go on the pill, especially for reasons relating to their menstrual cycle, cramps, or acne.

• I agree, its a good solution to lots of things

• It may not be the pill form of birth control, but a chance to help a girl out with bad cramps and menstrual cycles would make anyone more confident to go on  birth control. It helps with anything and is a protection against pregnancy. Girls are able to take it and are able to stay safe. Some people I know started birth control on the basis of staying safe at parties, in case they were drugged.

• the pill helps a lot of things and i think its a good idea to get on

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker