Should teachers get a pay raise?

From public to private schools, teachers get paid around 9-38 dollars per hour with an average of 14. That can vary from teacher to teacher, depending on education, additional skills, years of experience, and certifications. Cities pay teachers more than small towns like Harlan however, since there are more schools and most likely more kids to teach. I work at Dairy Queen and I get paid $8 an hour. That's only one less than the minimum and I didn't go to college or anything. I just applied and I got the job, and its much easier than being a teachef I imagine. Especially if they're high schoolers because most of them act like mischevious elementary kids. Literally the most immature people you'll ever know.

I feel generally sorry for the teachers and people that known them, because they don't get paid enough to deal with them. However there are teachers that just ignore them, doesn't mean that they try to make them more upset. I mean honestly I can't be the only one that things they aren't funny, to be a teacher is genuinely hard and all they do is make it harder. It makes teachers assume that most kids are like this and that they don't do anything but fool around. They aren't our parents though, we have rights too. Just as much as teachers do. There's been laws throughout history that prevents or promotes discipline. whether that's physical or emotional. 

But that's not our topic. According to indeed, High school teachers in Harlan make a minimum 42k per year. Which really isn't that bad considering the fact that the highest teacher salary is in maryland and that's $61,254 each year. But it's still not good enough for as much as they have to deal with. As my mom would say, you couldn't pay me enough to be a high school teacher and deal with as many idiots as there are in this school. No offense of course, there are the good people in the school too. Anyway back to our topic, the reason why teachers are so underpaid is because of how low-funded American school and education is. Apparently, salary increases don't seem to be in the question for teachers so the problem just keeps coming up. 

Some people might argue, "well why are they teachers then?" they're teachers because they want to teach people. Not deal with immaturity, keep that in mind. The teachers have been open about how underpaid they are and how much work they put in for so little back. So what do you think about teacher salary, should they get a pay raise or not?

Sites:

https://www.salary.com/research/salary/benchmark/public-school-teacher-hourly-wages

https://www.zippia.com/answers/why-do-teachers-get-paid-so-little/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I really like your topic(a little biased perhaps)!! Your summary is all you which I appreciate. It could be a better organized and alos be sure t ocomment more frequently.

• I think that teachers should get a pay raise. Teachers have a very important job in EACH and EVERY town, city and state and deserve more money for their job. Some teachers have to work small side jobs to be able to afford exactly what they want. Over all, teachers should get a pay raise because they have one of the most important jobs in the world, and thats educating the future kids of America. 

• I think the teachers should get a pay raise. Many teachers spend their own money to get the stuff they need to teach us kids. Teacher put in long hours trying to educate kids to become productive members of society and I personally feel they do not get paid enough for all they do.

• I think that teachers should get a pay raise. Their job takes a lot of patience, and many teachers have to use their own money to buy things for their classrooms. Right now there is also a teacher shortage so a pay raise might help with that. 

• I think teachers should get a 10% raise becasue they teach the future of our society. The time they take to prepare us for the future is invaluable. 

• I think teachers should get a raise for all they do. Teachers have to take time every night whether it's grading papers, taking tests, or even helping students. They also have to put up with awful students who refuse to listen. Even though they have summer off I still think they should be getting paid more

• In my personal opinion, I think that teachers definitely deserve to get a pay raise. All teachers put in so much time and patience no matter what age they teach. They continue to do their job at home by grading tests and papers, so a pay raise would definitely be well deserved. 

• In my opinion, I think some teachers should get payed more depending on what they are teaching, grade they are teaching, and how many hours there spendind on gradeing and planning scedule. Teachers are essential to the world, without them we would not be able to do a lot. They deal with a lot of trouble that students give them and they don't get paid enough money to put up with it. 

• In my personal opinion, I do think that teachers deserve to get a pay raise. Teachers put in so much time and sacrifice so much just for their job. Not to mention that they are teaching the future of the world, which is no small task by any means. 

• I do think that teachers should get a pay raise because they put in way more hours of work than they have to and they are also making the leaders for the future. They spend countless hours grading things, either essays or some type of homework.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker