Should teachers get a pay raise?

From public to private schools, teachers get paid around 9-38 dollars per hour with an average of 14. That can vary from teacher to teacher, depending on education, additional skills, years of experience, and certifications. Cities pay teachers more than small towns like Harlan however, since there are more schools and most likely more kids to teach. I work at Dairy Queen and I get paid $8 an hour. That's only one less than the minimum and I didn't go to college or anything. I just applied and I got the job, and its much easier than being a teachef I imagine. Especially if they're high schoolers because most of them act like mischevious elementary kids. Literally the most immature people you'll ever know.

I feel generally sorry for the teachers and people that known them, because they don't get paid enough to deal with them. However there are teachers that just ignore them, doesn't mean that they try to make them more upset. I mean honestly I can't be the only one that things they aren't funny, to be a teacher is genuinely hard and all they do is make it harder. It makes teachers assume that most kids are like this and that they don't do anything but fool around. They aren't our parents though, we have rights too. Just as much as teachers do. There's been laws throughout history that prevents or promotes discipline. whether that's physical or emotional. 

But that's not our topic. According to indeed, High school teachers in Harlan make a minimum 42k per year. Which really isn't that bad considering the fact that the highest teacher salary is in maryland and that's $61,254 each year. But it's still not good enough for as much as they have to deal with. As my mom would say, you couldn't pay me enough to be a high school teacher and deal with as many idiots as there are in this school. No offense of course, there are the good people in the school too. Anyway back to our topic, the reason why teachers are so underpaid is because of how low-funded American school and education is. Apparently, salary increases don't seem to be in the question for teachers so the problem just keeps coming up. 

Some people might argue, "well why are they teachers then?" they're teachers because they want to teach people. Not deal with immaturity, keep that in mind. The teachers have been open about how underpaid they are and how much work they put in for so little back. So what do you think about teacher salary, should they get a pay raise or not?

Sites:

https://www.salary.com/research/salary/benchmark/public-school-teacher-hourly-wages

https://www.zippia.com/answers/why-do-teachers-get-paid-so-little/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that the teachers should get paid more becasue they put up with us every day and can't complain but along with that the teachers should not be as picky if they did end up getting a raise because they are getting paid more so more things should slide rather than not slide

• I am not sure if teachers shold get a pay raise. My mom may be a teacher, but I do not necessarily think that all teachers deserve a raise. I think it depends on how well the teacher does their job. Teachers must follow the guidelines for the curriculum and issues with behavior.

• Me personally, I think that teachers should get a raise. They have to make lesson plans weekly. They also have to deal with children who do not make the best choices. Some students have favorite teeacher and tell them everything. I think that teachers do need paid more.

• I think teachers should be paid more. With the amount they make a year is not very much that doesnt leave alot of money for groceries, bills and sometimes kids. It isnt very much to live off of and it leaves verry little spending money to buy whatever. 

• In my opinion, I believe that teachers are underpaid. The fact that they go to college and pay for their job, while a highschooler can just get a part time job and make about the same amount per hour as teachers is insane. Teachers also put more time than part-time jobs, where they have to grade homework on their own time and have stricter schedules. Because of this, I believe that teachers should get raises.

• Personallly, I think teachers should get a raise. They work super hard between teaching, grading, and taking care of bad childern. They also have to spend some of their summer preparing for the up coming school year. Therefore, I think teachers should get a raise for how much they do for the students. 

• Personally, I think that some teachers deserve a pay raise. I understand that many teachers put in Hours and Hours of school effort to keep their classrooms running efficiently. But some teachers do not do much and I do not think that these teachers deserve a pay raise. This can be very controversial but I believe my reasons make sense. 

• I think that teachers should be paid much more. Teachers are one of the biggest influences on a student's life and they teach kids everything they know. Teachers not only need the money they make for basic life necessities, but many of them also use it towards supplies and helpful items for their classroom and the costs can add up. 

• Personally, I do think teacher should recieve a higher salary. Personally to me they work their butts off during the summer and during the school time to get ready for the student. So I think they deserve a raise. Being teacher can be hard job depending on what grade.

• I agree, they work hard and deserve higher pay for what they go through.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker