Should teachers get a pay raise?

From public to private schools, teachers get paid around 9-38 dollars per hour with an average of 14. That can vary from teacher to teacher, depending on education, additional skills, years of experience, and certifications. Cities pay teachers more than small towns like Harlan however, since there are more schools and most likely more kids to teach. I work at Dairy Queen and I get paid $8 an hour. That's only one less than the minimum and I didn't go to college or anything. I just applied and I got the job, and its much easier than being a teachef I imagine. Especially if they're high schoolers because most of them act like mischevious elementary kids. Literally the most immature people you'll ever know.

I feel generally sorry for the teachers and people that known them, because they don't get paid enough to deal with them. However there are teachers that just ignore them, doesn't mean that they try to make them more upset. I mean honestly I can't be the only one that things they aren't funny, to be a teacher is genuinely hard and all they do is make it harder. It makes teachers assume that most kids are like this and that they don't do anything but fool around. They aren't our parents though, we have rights too. Just as much as teachers do. There's been laws throughout history that prevents or promotes discipline. whether that's physical or emotional. 

But that's not our topic. According to indeed, High school teachers in Harlan make a minimum 42k per year. Which really isn't that bad considering the fact that the highest teacher salary is in maryland and that's $61,254 each year. But it's still not good enough for as much as they have to deal with. As my mom would say, you couldn't pay me enough to be a high school teacher and deal with as many idiots as there are in this school. No offense of course, there are the good people in the school too. Anyway back to our topic, the reason why teachers are so underpaid is because of how low-funded American school and education is. Apparently, salary increases don't seem to be in the question for teachers so the problem just keeps coming up. 

Some people might argue, "well why are they teachers then?" they're teachers because they want to teach people. Not deal with immaturity, keep that in mind. The teachers have been open about how underpaid they are and how much work they put in for so little back. So what do you think about teacher salary, should they get a pay raise or not?

Sites:

https://www.salary.com/research/salary/benchmark/public-school-teacher-hourly-wages

https://www.zippia.com/answers/why-do-teachers-get-paid-so-little/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I believe that teachers should get paid more. They work past school hours to grade everything, barely making a dent. They have to deal with upset kids all the time.They have to make lesson plans weekly. My sister is a teacher and she only talks to us on the weekend. She is so stressed all the time. And she grades homework and assignments but she doesn’t get as much sleep as she needs.

• Teachers expecially high school teachers should definetly get a pay raise. They put up with idiotic teenagers for 8 hours Monday through Friday and then they have to go home and grade papers for hours wasting their time to relax just so we can have an education. 

• Right. They do so much to help us get where we want to be and deserve to get a higher pay.

• I think that they should becase they have to take time out of their day to come here and teach use . They also have to stay after school and grade tests and papers they also have to go to meetings. Also they have to deal with kids that act up and don't listen, They also care about our mental and physical well being.

• I 100% think teachers should get a pay raise. Teachers are essential to the world, without them we would not be able to do a lot. They also are spending a lot of their own money to buy things for their classroom and their students. I think teachers are very underrated and deserve more credit then they get. 

• I do think that teachers should get a raise every year because they are putting there life to teach younger kids stuff about your next chapter of life.  I think that they should get raises depending on how long you have been working at the school.

• I do think that teachers get a pay raise. Most teachers do so much for their sudents and try to make them the best they can be by staying after school doing work and just trying to make kids the best they can be. Teachers play a really big role in kids lives, of course not as much as parents. 

• I think that they should be paid way more. They are the teachers that teach the future generations and I think that's a huge thing and they should be paid way more. Especially since they go through 4-6 years of collage.

• I agree with you, they go through so much just to teach them and they deserve more credit for that.

• I personally think that some teachers need pay raises. I don't think all teachers need their pay raised, because not all teachers do the same things. Although, teachers spend their own money by choice for their class room, it is not required for a teachers to spend their own money.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker