Should teachers get a pay raise?

From public to private schools, teachers get paid around 9-38 dollars per hour with an average of 14. That can vary from teacher to teacher, depending on education, additional skills, years of experience, and certifications. Cities pay teachers more than small towns like Harlan however, since there are more schools and most likely more kids to teach. I work at Dairy Queen and I get paid $8 an hour. That's only one less than the minimum and I didn't go to college or anything. I just applied and I got the job, and its much easier than being a teachef I imagine. Especially if they're high schoolers because most of them act like mischevious elementary kids. Literally the most immature people you'll ever know.

I feel generally sorry for the teachers and people that known them, because they don't get paid enough to deal with them. However there are teachers that just ignore them, doesn't mean that they try to make them more upset. I mean honestly I can't be the only one that things they aren't funny, to be a teacher is genuinely hard and all they do is make it harder. It makes teachers assume that most kids are like this and that they don't do anything but fool around. They aren't our parents though, we have rights too. Just as much as teachers do. There's been laws throughout history that prevents or promotes discipline. whether that's physical or emotional. 

But that's not our topic. According to indeed, High school teachers in Harlan make a minimum 42k per year. Which really isn't that bad considering the fact that the highest teacher salary is in maryland and that's $61,254 each year. But it's still not good enough for as much as they have to deal with. As my mom would say, you couldn't pay me enough to be a high school teacher and deal with as many idiots as there are in this school. No offense of course, there are the good people in the school too. Anyway back to our topic, the reason why teachers are so underpaid is because of how low-funded American school and education is. Apparently, salary increases don't seem to be in the question for teachers so the problem just keeps coming up. 

Some people might argue, "well why are they teachers then?" they're teachers because they want to teach people. Not deal with immaturity, keep that in mind. The teachers have been open about how underpaid they are and how much work they put in for so little back. So what do you think about teacher salary, should they get a pay raise or not?

Sites:

https://www.salary.com/research/salary/benchmark/public-school-teacher-hourly-wages

https://www.zippia.com/answers/why-do-teachers-get-paid-so-little/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think teachers should get a pay raise. I think they spend alot of their own money and work even when they are home. However, they get paid over the summer even though they are not working. I think they should get a raise but not a huge huge one. 

• I think teachers deserve a pay raise. For all the things they have to deal with, like highschool students, they deserve to get a raise. Teachers also have to spend lots of time outside of school, grading tests, going to meetings, and having PD days which don't seem fun at all. Teachers also have to go through 4 years of college and even  more for a better education. 

• I think so as well, they go through so many things and are severely underpaid. And as you said, they also have PD days which most likely aren't fun.

• I think they should get paid more. They work way past school hours trying to get stuff done and even if they stay up all night they usually barely get caught up. Both my stepmom and dad come home from working at school and spend multiple extra hours at the end of the night doing extra stuff that they couldn't get done at school. they get paid way to little for the amount of hours spent working.

• I agree, they deserve more than they are paid especially because they have so much to deal with and get done. I wish they would understand that students have a lot to do as well but that doesn't really matter.

• I think they get paid enough. Especially in our school, small-town schools are more desperate to have teachers so they will pay more. Also when they retire they will get Ipers which is the government paying you every month for your "contribution". 

• Yes I believe that they deserve a pay raise.  They put in many hours and a lot of hard work.  I think that with the amount of work that they put in they should be able to recieve pay raises. I do no think that they are paid enough.  I think that deserve more than what they are making.

• Personally, I think that some teachers deserve a pay raise. I understand that many teachers put in Hours and Hours of school effort to keep their classrooms running efficiently. But some teachers do not do as much and I do not think that these teachers deserve a pay raise. 

•  

I think that teachers should get paid way more then what they do. They have to deal with bratty kids all the time and also have to go into school when the kids don't they do alot and I think they deserve more pay then what they have at the momment.

• a teacher's salary is way too little for the amount of work that they do and the effort they put in. many teachers use there own money to buy things for students because the school does not give them enough money for basic classroom supply. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker