Should teachers be aloud to have weapons

One of the first ever recorded school shootings was near Greencastle, Pennsylvania on July 26, 1764. Four people broke into a schoolhouse and opened fire on the twelve kids and one teacher inside. Only two kids survived that incident. The most recent school shooting was on May 24, 2022, in Uvalde, Texas. Salvador Ramos got into the school and barricaded himself in a classroom and continued to shoot at over twenty-five people. Twenty-one of which died, two teachers and nineteen students. One of the people he shot was his own grandmother who was working as a teacher's aide at the time. She got released from the hospital after a month due to a gunshot to the face. A total of 376 law enforcement officers showed up at the school just to wait for over an hour to enter the school because of no leadership. It costs an average of 200 to 600 for a cheap quality self-defense handgun and it costs an average of 100 dollars for a conceal and carry class. It only costs 900 dollars for a teacher to be certified to carry a gun with them. Yes, 900 dollars might be a lot of money for small schools but in my opinion, a kid's life is worth way more than 900 dollars. If one of those two teachers killed by Salvador would have had a gun they might have been able to stop him from killing more people. Yes the teacher might have not been able to access the gun or get killed before getting a shot out of it. But that would allow the students access to the gun after the shooter goes away so the kids could have a chance to defend themselves. In my opinion, some certified teachers should be allowed to carry weapons on school grounds. I personally would feel safer knowing that there is someone on school property that is equipped with the resources to keep me and other students safe.

Do you believe that teachers should be allowed to carry weapons?

Would you trust a teacher to carry a weapon around you and your peers?

Sources 

https://www.k12academics.com/school-shootings/history-school-shootings-united-states

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/07/17/law-enforcement-failure-uvalde-shooting-investigation/

https://www.concealedcarryclass.net/how-much-does-a-concealed-carry-class-cost/

https://survivalfreedom.com/how-much-does-a-typical-gun-cost-with-examples/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that allowing teachers to carry weapons would help with the school shooting problem. However, you give the wrong teacher a gun, and there may be another problem. It all depends on who the teacher is and how they feel. I would trust some teacher, but not all.

• I believe that teachers should not be able to carry a weapon during class, because of major accidents that could possibly happen. In our school we have a great police darpartment for the school, and they would protect use if someone would come into the school.

• Their is a saying that the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. Yes i think teachers should be able to carry firearms, however they must go through the training required for it.

• Yes they should have to go through training to prove that they can responsibly and effectively use the weapon

• I believe teachers should be allowed to carry a weapon, but they should be trained and be able how to use the weapon correctly. I would more than likely trust a teacher that is carrying a weapon unless they have no knowlage about knowing how to use it correctly.

• In my opinion, teachers should not carry guns. Not all teachers can be trusted to use it properly, and it could lead to another shooting. I also think in some cases the teacher could use it as threats like if a child was misbehaving. These are all "what ifs" but ive seen videos of teachers acting crazy or saying horrible things to kids. I think many things could go wrong. 

• My Opinion is that they should not. I think this increase the rate for another shooting. Also if the teacher is having mental illnesse it cause another shooting.

• if one teacher decided to use their weapon to harm someone there would be other teachers or staff members that could stop them

• I do not think teachers should have firearms because teachers could then cause another shooting inside of the building which could possibly lead to just another shooting. Plus, in some schools they have officers in the school so they should be able to carry the resources needed incase of a shooting.

• I think only certain teachers should be aloud to carry wepons. Like RJ should eb able to carry something in case of emergancys. But i think they need to show proof of knowing how to handle the wepon.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker