Should teachers be aloud to have weapons

One of the first ever recorded school shootings was near Greencastle, Pennsylvania on July 26, 1764. Four people broke into a schoolhouse and opened fire on the twelve kids and one teacher inside. Only two kids survived that incident. The most recent school shooting was on May 24, 2022, in Uvalde, Texas. Salvador Ramos got into the school and barricaded himself in a classroom and continued to shoot at over twenty-five people. Twenty-one of which died, two teachers and nineteen students. One of the people he shot was his own grandmother who was working as a teacher's aide at the time. She got released from the hospital after a month due to a gunshot to the face. A total of 376 law enforcement officers showed up at the school just to wait for over an hour to enter the school because of no leadership. It costs an average of 200 to 600 for a cheap quality self-defense handgun and it costs an average of 100 dollars for a conceal and carry class. It only costs 900 dollars for a teacher to be certified to carry a gun with them. Yes, 900 dollars might be a lot of money for small schools but in my opinion, a kid's life is worth way more than 900 dollars. If one of those two teachers killed by Salvador would have had a gun they might have been able to stop him from killing more people. Yes the teacher might have not been able to access the gun or get killed before getting a shot out of it. But that would allow the students access to the gun after the shooter goes away so the kids could have a chance to defend themselves. In my opinion, some certified teachers should be allowed to carry weapons on school grounds. I personally would feel safer knowing that there is someone on school property that is equipped with the resources to keep me and other students safe.

Do you believe that teachers should be allowed to carry weapons?

Would you trust a teacher to carry a weapon around you and your peers?

Sources 

https://www.k12academics.com/school-shootings/history-school-shootings-united-states

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/07/17/law-enforcement-failure-uvalde-shooting-investigation/

https://www.concealedcarryclass.net/how-much-does-a-concealed-carry-class-cost/

https://survivalfreedom.com/how-much-does-a-typical-gun-cost-with-examples/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think it could be good but I also think it could be bad. plus its up to the teacher and what they want to do we cant make them carry guns I think its just best for schools to have resoures officers that carry their own weapons.

• Honestly, I think that they shouldn't because it would help in a dangerous situation but letting them have guns would be worse in the long run because the teacher might just snap one day and become one of the school shooters.

• the teachers should be tested and examined for any type of mental illness before given a weapon

• I do not think that teachers should have a gun in the classroom. I know its for if a shooting does happen, but it might just even cause more shootings if the teacher is in a bad mental state. Some teachers I do not trust as much as others and I think it would be better if we just had a a resorce officer that had a gun like RJ. 

• I believe teachers shouldnt be able to carry wepons simply because I think if they are "around" there is a chance of the weapon getting into the wrong hands of someone and hurting other people. I woulndt trust a teacher to carry a weapon because just like a student they could go crazy. 

• I think that teachers shouldnt be able to have weapons in school. If they get to have weapons then why can't students have them. I myself wouldn't feel safe if the teachers had weapons near me because what if they get mad and something happens.

• I do not think that all teachers should have guns. The background checks are probably way different for being a teahcer and being able to have a gun. If a teacher already has a gun license and everything I think they should be able to have a small gun locked away for olbvious reasons. 

• I believe that teachers should be able to carry a gun around but not pull it out, only in case of a emergency would they be able to pull it out such as a school shooting, a robber, or anything like that should the teacher be able to carry the gun and use it only if necessary.

• I agree that it should stay hidden or put away until need 

• I think that they should allowed teachers to be armed but I think that not all teachers should be armed just some. But, you don't want to give a gun to the wrong teacher and you wanna give the gun to the right teacher. I think that if the teachers have a license and knows how to handle a gun they should be armed but if they don't then they shouldn't be armed.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker