Should teachers be allowed to hit students?

In the 19th and 20th centuries, teachers used corporal punishments on students. They believed that these punishments helped motivate students to perform better both academically and behaviorally. It was allowed for teachers to discipline students if they weren't paying attention, weren’t behaving adequately, or had inappropriate language. Teachers would typically use rulers, belts, an open hand, etc. Even though it doesn't happen as much as it used to, physical discipline is still legal in nineteen states.

Nineteen out of the fifty states still allow teachers to discipline students in public schools. While in private schools, only two states allow that, Iowa and New Jersey. Many people believe that corporal punishments should not be allowed in a school environment. They think that it is the parent’s responsibility to physically punish the child (if they choose to do so). However, some people believe that corporal punishments are beneficial and useful in school. It is said to establish boundaries, motivate students to behave, and accurately be held accountable. 

I think that corporal punishments in schools should be illegal and banned in all 50 states. It is not the teacher’s responsibility or right to lay their hands on another person's child. If a student is really acting up, the teacher needs to contact the parents before taking any physical action.

What do you think about teachers hitting their students?

Do you think hitting students should be illegal?

Who do you think should be in charge of discipling students, teachers or parents?

https://www.sutori.com/en/story/history-of-discipline-in-education--G1euRuPyczAPcsDgVAZ2WHLt

https://www.boardingschoolreview.com/blog/corporal-punishment-is-still-legal-in-many-states#:~:text=Merriam%2DWebster%20defines%20corporal%20punishment,%2C%20Indiana%2C%20Iowa%2C%20Kansas%2C

https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2002/06/spanking

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think it would be a bad thing if they did when students are being really bad. I mean, if the students don't like it just don't be bad. It also adds to the entertainment of the class as a whole. Students could even bet on who will get hit first. I see it as a great contribution to schools. 

• Think that teacher should not hit students. I think that bad and not a good way to show discipline. I think that they should just leave it the past and don't bring back.

• I think that teachers should not be able to hit students. There are different ways to discipline kids, teachers have no need to physically abuse kids. I think that both the parents and teachers should discipline the kids if they are bad. There should be consequences to bad behavior.

• There is no reason for a teacher to lay there hands on a student. There is a reason teachers get fired for that. No teacher should ever lay hands on a student. If they are having problems with that student their parent should be contacted. 

• I think that they should be able to hit students in a disipline manner. I think people are getting way to far out of line and don't pay attention. I think if kids are destorying your class and you stundents learning I think it would be ok to disipline kids. Parents don't do it at home anymore so kids are a lot less behaved. 

• I do not think the teachers should be able to hit students because if I get hit by a teacher I now dang well Im going to be hitting back. Also it would not be very respectful if a teacher came up to a student and smacked them for disaplince.

• I agree, if teachers want to hit a student they need to think about the consequences that both them and the student will have. The teacher could get in trouble and could get hurt back.

• I think that teachers should hit students. If teachers don't hit students the the student will just do whatever they want and we can not have that. I do not think hitting student should be illegal. Both, at school teachers and at home parents.

• I don't think teachers should be able to hit students. It is not the best way to go about a problem. The parents and student could get very very mad and that would cause more problems. I think there are better consequences such as calling their parents but nothing physical. 

• I don't think teachers should be able to hit students. I don't think hitting a student is the best way to deal with a problem. In most cases that will cause a bigger problem. I think there are definitely better ways to get students to listen by not hitting them.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker