Should teachers be allowed to hit students?

In the 19th and 20th centuries, teachers used corporal punishments on students. They believed that these punishments helped motivate students to perform better both academically and behaviorally. It was allowed for teachers to discipline students if they weren't paying attention, weren’t behaving adequately, or had inappropriate language. Teachers would typically use rulers, belts, an open hand, etc. Even though it doesn't happen as much as it used to, physical discipline is still legal in nineteen states.

Nineteen out of the fifty states still allow teachers to discipline students in public schools. While in private schools, only two states allow that, Iowa and New Jersey. Many people believe that corporal punishments should not be allowed in a school environment. They think that it is the parent’s responsibility to physically punish the child (if they choose to do so). However, some people believe that corporal punishments are beneficial and useful in school. It is said to establish boundaries, motivate students to behave, and accurately be held accountable. 

I think that corporal punishments in schools should be illegal and banned in all 50 states. It is not the teacher’s responsibility or right to lay their hands on another person's child. If a student is really acting up, the teacher needs to contact the parents before taking any physical action.

What do you think about teachers hitting their students?

Do you think hitting students should be illegal?

Who do you think should be in charge of discipling students, teachers or parents?

https://www.sutori.com/en/story/history-of-discipline-in-education--G1euRuPyczAPcsDgVAZ2WHLt

https://www.boardingschoolreview.com/blog/corporal-punishment-is-still-legal-in-many-states#:~:text=Merriam%2DWebster%20defines%20corporal%20punishment,%2C%20Indiana%2C%20Iowa%2C%20Kansas%2C

https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2002/06/spanking

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that if a student is not being nice or something then they good get slapped but other than that they cant just start hitting studetns for fun.  I think that if a teacher does it every day and for no reason then it should be illegal. I thinkl that the teacher should be incharge in discipling their students.

• In my opinion teachers shouldn't be allowed to hit students. There are many other ways to punish them that don't include actual physical hitting. I think it shouldn't be legal because it can be dangerous in some situations and can end up with a lot of damages. 

• I agree, using corporal punishments can do more bad than good when dicsiplining a child. It can be dangerous and can cause trauma to the student.

• I believe that teachers hitting students should not come back into todays society. People back then  were fine with it as that was what they were used to, but now as society has changed and child abuse has become a lot more prevelant, hitting a kid most likely would not slide, and if it were to somehow become legal there wouldn't be a lot of support for it from quite a few people.

• I personally believe that teachers should not hit students because they are still miners I also think that it should be illegal for teacher to hit their students because do you really need to hit a student in order for them to get the point. and I think that if should be a combination of teachers and parents.

• I think that it should definately not be allowed to hit a student. I do think that hitting a student should be illegal, it's like any other type of physical abuse in my opinion. I think that the parent should be in charge of disciplining students (but they should also not hit their children).

• I personally think that students should not be able to hit their own students. It does not solve anything other than scared kids and abuse. Hitting students should not be legal ever. If there is anyone going to punish a kid it would be there own parent because teachers don't need to be hitting students.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree, it should definetly be illegal for teachers to use corporal punishments on students. I don't think kids should be getting hit by neither the parents nor the teachers, but if it comes down to it, it should be the parents disciplining the kid.

• I don't think teachers should be allowed to hit their students. It just seems wrong. I get kids can be rude or disrespectful, but that's why you can send them to the office to get a detention or suspension. there are other options; hitting kids won't correct their behavior. Hitting your students should be illegal. Parents and teachers should both be responsible. Parents can paddle their kids because that's how they can enforce discipline. Teachers on the other hand cannot touch the kids. they can enforce rules upon the kids though, such as lunch detentions, etc.

• I do not think teachers should be able to hit students.  I  think that alot of kids need punishment because of the way they treat the teachers sometimes. Overall I think its the parent's job to discipline there child. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker