Should students have to take a foreign language class?

Should students have to take a foreign language class? 

The debate between students having to take a foreign language class has been going on for long periods of time. Now that there are more classes and activities you can take, do we really need a foreign language one? 

There are many benefits coming from taking this class, For example you could put it on a job application to use it towards college. It can help students achieve more in school. Learning a second language also helps the brain focus better and can help you in different departments. It also gives you an opportunity to see how other native people talk and communicate with their peers vs how we do with ours.

However, there are a few downsides to taking a foreign language class. It might be too difficult for your brain to understand, causing more stress on you and your schoolwork. The homework or studying could take time out of your day to focus on other bigger opportunities, it could not be needed in your future, or you could simply just lose motivation to do it midway through and fail the class overall. 

If I had to choose between taking a foregion language class or not I would choose taking one. Then you would have it to put on your applications and it could help you in situations you might not expect. It would also give you an opportunity to make friends with your peers and branch you into hobbies. 

Would you take a foreign language class?

Do you think it should be mandatory? 

https://www.studyfrenchspanish.com/why-not-learn-foreign-languages/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think it shouldn't be mandatroy. Some people already know spanish and use it in their home and still have to take it. It should be optional. Some kids aren't even going to college or just don't care for it. If it effects them later on in life then they could have thought about that before hand.

• I think that students should not take foreign language class. Some people do not want to take foreign language class. And also some students already know how to speak a foreign language. And depending what you want to after high school somes jobs do need a foreign language.

• I do think learning a foreign language is beneficial but should not be mandatory as a class or for applications and other things. If people want to come to America I think they should have to learn our language or at least learn to console with us. It does not hurt to learn more though and could help you in the future.

•  In my opinion I Don't think kids should have to take a foreign language class. Personally I think that depending on what you do in the future and if you would need to have to take that class. I feel some people are just not interested in learning foreign language and some might be. I dont think it should be mandatory I think having the option on what we are learning is better then being told what we have to learn. 

• Myslef I would not take a foreign language even though that some colleges you need to take the class I just don't think that it is mandatory for a student to take one 

• Yes I think taking a foreign language should be required. Taking a foreign language is very benifical  to your future in so many ways. Being bilingual can help you get jobs, especialy in such a diverse nation like the US. It can also help you get into a college.  

• I would definitely take a foreign language class in high school. There are many benefits to learning a new language like there being more job opportunities, traveling, and being able to elaborate with more people. I am taking Spanish right now and it has helped me a lot since I can now understand more Spanish signs and I have had more conversations with Hispanics. I would learn Spanish in highschool since it would be easier than in college due to the number of people and time spent in the classroom. 

• I would definitely take a foreign language. In my opinion a foreign language is very helpful for your future for many reasons like: having more job opportunities, having an easier way to enter to college and it could also let you travel to different countries without having the issue of not understanding their language. I think it shouldn't be mandatory but it should always be an opition for people that want to take it.

• I think a foreign language class should be required to take. If you plan to go to college you might meet someone that only speaks a foreign language. Or if you are planning to go into a work force that deal with human interaction. And you have a foreign language speaker. You wouldn't have to know much. But more is better then none. I'm taking Spanish 2 so yes I would take a foreign language class

• In my opinion, I think foregin language classes should be optional. The choice should be made by the students, some know what they want to do after high school. Those people might need some language from another place to help them in the job they do. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker