Should students have to take a foreign language class?

Should students have to take a foreign language class? 

The debate between students having to take a foreign language class has been going on for long periods of time. Now that there are more classes and activities you can take, do we really need a foreign language one? 

There are many benefits coming from taking this class, For example you could put it on a job application to use it towards college. It can help students achieve more in school. Learning a second language also helps the brain focus better and can help you in different departments. It also gives you an opportunity to see how other native people talk and communicate with their peers vs how we do with ours.

However, there are a few downsides to taking a foreign language class. It might be too difficult for your brain to understand, causing more stress on you and your schoolwork. The homework or studying could take time out of your day to focus on other bigger opportunities, it could not be needed in your future, or you could simply just lose motivation to do it midway through and fail the class overall. 

If I had to choose between taking a foregion language class or not I would choose taking one. Then you would have it to put on your applications and it could help you in situations you might not expect. It would also give you an opportunity to make friends with your peers and branch you into hobbies. 

Would you take a foreign language class?

Do you think it should be mandatory? 

https://www.studyfrenchspanish.com/why-not-learn-foreign-languages/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think a foregin language class should be required becuase our country is very diverse and they're many places in this country were english is not the main language. Also if you are traviling the world you made need to speak the laugauge, you don't need to know it like you would english but it could be important to know important phrases. 

• I don't want to take a foregin language class. I think that it should be a choice the student gets to make and not something that is forced on them. Some people just don't want to learn a new language. If they are already having a hard time in school adding a foreign language would make it even harder. 

• Having at least 2 years should be mandatory to graduate because more colleges require that anyways. Foreign classes can help you so much in the future, it is a great skill to have. It could even help you get a job someday as you could put it on your resume. 

• Yes I would take foregin language class because you will need it in the future especially with your job you are wanting to do. I think it should not be mandatory I think it should be option if the student want to take it. Cause some student don't want to go to college.

• I think it'd be smart to have at least 2 years be mandatory. Nearly all colleges are going to require at least 2 years of foroeign language. Taking it in high school would not only make it cheaper for you but the class in high school would probably be a little easier than a college course.

• I personally believe that you should not have to take a foreign language class unless your college you want to go to requires it. A foreign langue class in fact is probably a good idea to take. You get to learn a differnent laungue that you might need at some point in your life. 

• I personally take foreign language classes. However, I don't think it should be required because a lot of people will just forget about it the following year. 

• I would take a foreign language class because it would look good on a resume, and it may come in handy in the future. However, I can see why some students may not want to take it. I don't think it shoud be required, but I do think it is a good class to take. 

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree, students should take it to boost their knowledge but they shouldn't have to like. like the reading said it would help you all throughout life but its not needed. I do however think that taking one for even a year is better than none at all. 

• I don't think that students should have to take a foreign language class. I feel that it would be very beneficial to learn another language but if a person is fine with knowing just one language then they shouln't be forced to take a foreign language class. I would take a foreign language class though.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker