Should students have to put their phones in the pouches?

Since the start of last year, students have been required to put their phones into a phone pouch. Previously, students had the freedom to keep their phones in their backpacks and occasionally have them out. Now some teachers will not even start class until every student has put their phone in their assigned pouch. Many students are very frustrated with this sudden rule change, however some teachers beg to differ. Should this rule stay or be revoked?

There are many pros to this rule change in the school. Many schools around the world have different and unique ways for phones to be detained from students during class time. A common reason for why schools should forbid phones is for cheating opportunities. Many students can try to cheat with their phones during tests. Many students these days are trying to cheat on tests, or simply not pay attention in class at all. Phones can cause many problems in the classroom. But can the teacher stop this problem without taking away every student's phone before class starts? 

Everyday before class starts, you can see students walking to their assigned phone pouch to put their phones in. Many students simply don’t like putting their phones in the pouches. A student could easily argue the fact that they might need their phone during class. What if there is a school lockdown? The school has taught that during a lockdown, every door is locked, and students continue class as usual. However, it is clear that many parents will want to be in contact with their child to know that they are safe. But parents will not be able to be in contact with their child if they don’t have their phone. A child/student could grab their phone at the end of class and see 3 missed phone calls from their parents. In case of an emergency in any way, should students be allowed to carry their phones during class?

After lots of researching, I believe that it is very important that students should be allowed to have their phones in their possession. Afterall, the school does not own our phones. So why should they get to keep us from having our phones? I believe that students should be allowed to have their phones during class at all times. It is a student's privilege to acquire their phones in any situation and this rule needs to be revoked immediately.   

Should students have to put their phones in the pouches? 

Should there be a punishment if a student is on their phone?

https://www.publicschoolreview.com/blog/should-public-schools-ban-cell-phones 

https://learnsafe.com/student-cell-phones-in-school-crisis-situations-pros-and-cons/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Schools tell us that they are preparing us for college, however it doesn't really feel like it. If they were preparing us for college, we would be able to access our phones so we know when we can and can't be on our phones. 

• I think that they should be required as they can distract students. At the same time, I think we should keep them as some students feel safer with them so maybe we have to turn them in during tests and such to not allow cheating.

• I feel like the students should not have to put their phones in poches. I think students may feel safe with them. but with that being said you can't be on your phone 24/7 and have it be a dectrations to your learning and possible take away from others learning as well.

• I agree, I think that most students are responsible enough to keep their phones near them without being on them. 

• I Dont think that students should have to put there phone up. I can understand how some might get annoyed that they are on there phone but instead of putting it up they could jsut give them warnings, or let the students know when they can and can not have there phone out in class. In my opinion I dont think students should have a punishment for being on there phone. The teacher could simply ask them to get off there phone or put it in their pocket of bag instead of giving punishments. I beleive phones aren't hurting anyone and there shouldn't be a reason studetns can have their phones in classes on their desks.

• Another student mentioned a 3-strike warning system. I think that you guys have very similar thoughts that I agree with. There should be warnings for those who need them, not for students who know when to be on their phones. 

• I feel like we should not have to put our phones in our pockets because some people don't feel safe putting them in their pockets and if there were a tornado or a fire then people would have to grab their phones from the pocket and maybe by then the fire or tornado could of hit already and we should just have them in our pockets and if we take them out without permission then we should get a punishment 

• I agree, it would be a huge clutter if all of the students are trying to grab all of their phones at once. That would cause a lot of problems and people may not be able to get to shelter or out of shelter in time. 

• I feel like students should not have to put theirs phones in pouches as long as their still paying attention in class. In case something happens most kids feel safer with their phones on them, rather then in some pouch across the room. I think that students should just keep their phones in their bag or their pocket. 

• I agree, I feel that most students are responsible enough to keep their phones in their bag or in their pocket. Yes, the vibration may be tempting, however students need to learn to resist temptation. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker