When entering your school, what is the first thing you have to do? Well I know for most of the students at HCHS they go to their classes, use the restrooms, or eat breakfast. But that may not be the case for all kids in public school. 

A wide range of children have to go through security before entering their schools. Some schools believe that this keeps their students and their staff much safer. But how much time is this exactly taking out of the students learning time? Schools that have their students go through security have each of their students spend an average of 10 minuties each going through security. This takes up 10 minutes of each students time that they could have spent, using the restrooms, asking teachers for help with homework, or eating breakfast, this can cause the students to also be late for class if they show up 5 minutes early for school. 

But doesn't this mean the school is safer? This does make the school some what safer. It can detect any type of dangerous object that someone might want to bring into the school. This lowers school shootings and school threats, causing less worry for the students. Student's may be agaisnt this because some object that they have to bring into the school may cause the detectors to go off. That would cause them to spend more time then what they are already spending going through security. 

In my opinion, students shouldn't have to go through security. But if they make threats to the school and any type of harmful actions then they should have to go though some types of security before entering the school. Over all, it would take up to much of the students time and may not be in the budget for the school. 

Do you think students should have to go through security? why or why not? 

Should it come out of the school budget?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think students should be checked and go through security because at that point they are being to personal. it would be a waste of time anyways so people would have to show up earleir and then if students where late they would get less time to get to class because they are being checked.

• I don't think schools should have their students going through security. Doing this is gonna take time out of the students day to learn. Thats the opposite of what schools want and what they're for.

• I don't think that schools should have students go through security. It takes a lot of time out of the school day. It would also take a long time for bigger schools because more students have to go through security. This would also cost a lot of money for the school. 

• I do not think that we should have to go thorugh secruity just to get inot the school as a studnet. Although, I do bealive we should have seceruity on the premises does not mean that we should have to walk through them everyday.

• No I think that they should not. Yes school should be safe but I think the more we put stuff like that in the more kids are not going to enjoy school and be a kid and just have to walk in and go through the motions. People should just come to school not be dumb have fun and go home. 

• I think that schools like Harlan don't need security. Everyone basically knows everyone and we are a small school. But bigger schools I understand. Everyone doesn't know each other, people can get away with things easier because of the student-to-teacher ratio, and depending on the area, there could be fighting and weapon threats. 

• I agree with you so much. A school like Harlan doesn't need security because we haven't had any mayjor issues with much like this. But there have been larger school that have had much to deal with. 

• I do not think that students should have to go through security, beause our school is very small and in a small town. I would think differently if we lived in a big town with lots of violance, also with a big school. Also it would be a lot of money.

• I don't think that students should go through security, especially at our school, because it is a small town with a smaller population. In bigger places, and in cities, the population is huge, and they have to go through safety procautions because so many students go to that school. If places were going to add it, I think that it should go through the schools budget, mainly because we just had a bond issue released, and now we could get, plus, tax payer pay enough already. 

• Yes, while our school is a smaller school and doesn't really need it, there are larger schools that should and do need it. The money to pay for this would be hard to take out of the schools budget. It may also be something that the entire community will have to pay for even if they don't all agree on if the school needs it. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker