Should Students have their phones during school?

Ever since phones came to the world teachers have been strict to students to not have their phones in their backpack or pocket over the years. Some schools don’t even let their phones go into the classroom and they have to put their phone in their lockers. Today, the widespread use of cell phones in society and among teens has pushed districts to examine general bans. Most now allow students to carry cell phones with them to school but have put policies in place that limit their use to varying degrees during the school day. 

Some districts differ most notably in their approach to the use of cell phones in the classroom and the extent to which there are various parts that are linked up together into a phone which is what we have now. Some people who oppose allowing cell phones in the classroom argue that they cause a distraction in the class and can also be used for things like cheating, but the people that support cell phones in the classroom point to the educational potential of this tech, which allows students to solve math problems, take class notes, create digital media for projects depending on the class, and among other things. Also the phones don’t belong to the schools and that the students shouldn’t have to put their phones up since it’s their own property. 

In my opinion, I think that students shouldn’t put their phones in their locker or in a pouch depending on what school you go to and they should have their phone in their pocket or backpack and they use it for when they need it for class and they can handle it too. I also think that they shouldn’t put their phone in their locker or pouches because it’s their property and some people will be mad and that they shouldn’t put their phones up since it’s their property.

Should students have their phone during class?

Does it help the student work in class better?

https://scienceandliteracy.org/why-should-students-be-allowed-to-use-cell-phones-in-class/

https://student-tutor.com/blog/cell-phones-in-school/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you because some students can pay attention and I think that you can be on your phone as long as you have no work.

• I think kids should be able to habe their phones during school. It might effect each kid diffrently but, thats on them to choose their focus level and how often they would want ot use it during class for important stuff. I think that if they do not focus they should get it taken.

• I agree with you because some students have their phone out and they are resposible and some aren't. and I think that they should get their phone taken away

• I think that students can have their phones during class, unless they are using them when they are being taught. I feel that some, if not most students are responsible enough to not be distracted from them during class periods. I don't really think it would help students work in class better since they have their computers.

• I agree with you because it can help the student not be distracted and some students can be responsible enough.

• I think that a phone can be a distraction from class. However, I think that high school student should be responsible enough to either pay attention to the teacher or be on their phone. I also think that as long as your phone is in your backpack it is not such a big distraction anymore. 

• I agree with you because if the student isn't responsible then they can be trusted with their phone.

• I think that students should be able to have their phones in class, until they prove that they shouldn't. For example, if the student is constantly not listening, or not being productive, I think that teachers should have the ability to take away their phone.

• I agree with you because if the student aint paying attention then they should get their phone taken away.

• I think that teachers should let kids have their phones during class because they are old enough to know when to listen and what needs to be done. I think that if we have work time and are done with everything then we should be able to have our phones.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker