Should Students have their phones during school?

Ever since phones came to the world teachers have been strict to students to not have their phones in their backpack or pocket over the years. Some schools don’t even let their phones go into the classroom and they have to put their phone in their lockers. Today, the widespread use of cell phones in society and among teens has pushed districts to examine general bans. Most now allow students to carry cell phones with them to school but have put policies in place that limit their use to varying degrees during the school day. 

Some districts differ most notably in their approach to the use of cell phones in the classroom and the extent to which there are various parts that are linked up together into a phone which is what we have now. Some people who oppose allowing cell phones in the classroom argue that they cause a distraction in the class and can also be used for things like cheating, but the people that support cell phones in the classroom point to the educational potential of this tech, which allows students to solve math problems, take class notes, create digital media for projects depending on the class, and among other things. Also the phones don’t belong to the schools and that the students shouldn’t have to put their phones up since it’s their own property. 

In my opinion, I think that students shouldn’t put their phones in their locker or in a pouch depending on what school you go to and they should have their phone in their pocket or backpack and they use it for when they need it for class and they can handle it too. I also think that they shouldn’t put their phone in their locker or pouches because it’s their property and some people will be mad and that they shouldn’t put their phones up since it’s their property.

Should students have their phone during class?

Does it help the student work in class better?

https://scienceandliteracy.org/why-should-students-be-allowed-to-use-cell-phones-in-class/

https://student-tutor.com/blog/cell-phones-in-school/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think students should have their phones in class. I think though if the student isnt paying attention and is on it the teacher could tell them to put it away. Study hall is one of the only exeptions where you could have your phone out the whole time. 

• I agree with you because if the student isn't paying attention then the teacher should ask them to put it away but if they don't then the teacher should take it away.

• In my personal opinion, I do not think that students should have their phones in the classroom in most situations. I think that for most students having their phone would simply be an added distraction, stopping them from giving the teacher their full and undivided attention. I do not think that having their phone would help students work better in class. 

• Students should in most cases not be allowed to use their phones in class as a lot of lessons are taught via lecture and not paying full attention within those classes can be detrimental especially if they go over something important. Having a phone in class can be pretty distracting so I don't believe it would help them work better as most students would probably use it for social media.

• I personally believe that it should be the students choice to either be on their phone or not because it will be their fault if they do not pay attention and then they fail the class but then agian if the student has all of their work done then it would be ok for them to have it.

• I think that students should have their phones during school in some cases. I don't think the should have it in class if they aren't paying attention to lectures and getting f's on tests. I don't think that having phones helps students in class if anything it is a huge distraction unless you're taking notes on it which is not usually the case.

• I agree with you because some students will take notes and pay attention and others won't so as long as you are paying attention then you should be on your phone.

• It depends, if they're on it while the teacher is giving instructions, then no. But if they're on their phone when all their work is complete I think it's totally fine. Honestly being on your phone while in class can be a big distraction. It's hard to multitask when on your phone because you get so wrapped up in it you don't have an idea of whats going on around you. 

• I agree with you because you will be on your phone during instructions but if you have all you work done then you can be on your phone.

• I think that if a student wants to have their phone in class, then let them. I think that if you dont want to be present, then go on your phone. I think I would not ever really be on mine during class because I would not want to fail the tests. Also, I think that students should not be able to have their phones during tests because then students would be on their phones in class, the they could look up answers on their phones.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker