Should students be required to take at least 2 years of foreign language classes to graduate high school? Within Harlan Community School, you are not formally required to take any foreign language classes to graduate. But a question that could be posed within the school is, is it worth forcing students to take these classes?

I think overall there are some positives and negatives to this idea. The positive that is shown after requiring these classes is the increase in knowledge overall. Students who take foreign language classes usually end up being more advanced in other classes due to the heightened knowledge of another language. Another benefit is that students who take a foreign language and stick with it can get better jobs and better opportunities in the long run. Some students may eventually find it easier to get a better job with an even higher pay rate due to the ability to speak another language. The last pro I will mention is the fact that if you even start it earlier, as in elementary school, it widens a younger student's brain and makes their knowledge more flexible. 

Contrary to the pros of this idea. Some cons come along with this requirement. One of them is that forcing a student to take a foreign language may take away from a student within the classroom who wants to be there and is eager to take on the challenge of learning a new language. It takes away some one-on-one time with those who are striving for achievements such as their seal of biliteracy. Another con is that along with requiring a student to take a class, you are bound to have more students failing the class than if the class was chosen. Students are more likely to try a class if they have chosen to take it off their free will. 

Overall I think that both the positive and negative reasons are reasonable. But, in the end, I think that it is better to not require it. I feel like the students who want to push themselves and strive for a better future will choose to take on the challenge of a foreign language. So to sum it up, I believe we should keep it as a non-required elective.

https://www.leadwithlanguages.org/why-learn-languages/middle-high-school/#:~:text=Bilinguals%20have%20better%20problem%2Dsolving,academic%20progress%20in%20other%20subjects. 

Do you think we should have to take 2 years of foreign language to graduate?

Are you in a foreign language right now?

Do you think they should start teaching younger kids different languages?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• No, I dont think students should be forced to take 2 years of any foreign language. Because, not everyone is going to use it and you cant learn a whole entire language in 2 years so its almost pointless. Yes, I think it would make more sense if they taught the younger kids other then the older ones.

• I agree that it is almost pointless for some kids, because they will never use it.

• I don't think that 2 years of foreign language should be required. Not everybody is interested on learning a new language. Some people don't even plan on going to college, so why waste your time taking a class you don't see yourself using? Currently I am in foreign language class right now. I think that if the younger kids parents wanted their child to learn different languages they could, but I don't think it should be required.

• I agree that it should not be required, because not everyone wants to learn a new language.

• In my oppinion it really depends if you want to go to collage or not but i feel like yea everyone should be require to take 2 years of a foreingn laguage because it would also be helpful for our future 

• I agree that it depends if you want to go to college.

• No, because if people dont want to go to college they wont need it I mean It is a thing to know. I am not in a foergn langiage class because I feel like I will not need it. I dont think younger kids should have to learn different languages.

• I think you're right, if you don't want to go to college, you shouldn't have to take something you're not going to use.

• I do not think students should be required to take 2 years of a foreign language. Personally, I would anyways, but a lot of students struggle in learning foreign languages, so I don't think it should be a requirement. I think that teaching kids a second language younger is better because the you can teach them slower and make sure they really understand it.

• I am also taking 2 years, just because I am planning on going to college, and I think it will be helpful. But for those who don't go to college, don't need it.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker