Should students be required to take at least 2 years of foreign language classes to graduate high school? Within Harlan Community School, you are not formally required to take any foreign language classes to graduate. But a question that could be posed within the school is, is it worth forcing students to take these classes?

I think overall there are some positives and negatives to this idea. The positive that is shown after requiring these classes is the increase in knowledge overall. Students who take foreign language classes usually end up being more advanced in other classes due to the heightened knowledge of another language. Another benefit is that students who take a foreign language and stick with it can get better jobs and better opportunities in the long run. Some students may eventually find it easier to get a better job with an even higher pay rate due to the ability to speak another language. The last pro I will mention is the fact that if you even start it earlier, as in elementary school, it widens a younger student's brain and makes their knowledge more flexible. 

Contrary to the pros of this idea. Some cons come along with this requirement. One of them is that forcing a student to take a foreign language may take away from a student within the classroom who wants to be there and is eager to take on the challenge of learning a new language. It takes away some one-on-one time with those who are striving for achievements such as their seal of biliteracy. Another con is that along with requiring a student to take a class, you are bound to have more students failing the class than if the class was chosen. Students are more likely to try a class if they have chosen to take it off their free will. 

Overall I think that both the positive and negative reasons are reasonable. But, in the end, I think that it is better to not require it. I feel like the students who want to push themselves and strive for a better future will choose to take on the challenge of a foreign language. So to sum it up, I believe we should keep it as a non-required elective.

https://www.leadwithlanguages.org/why-learn-languages/middle-high-school/#:~:text=Bilinguals%20have%20better%20problem%2Dsolving,academic%20progress%20in%20other%20subjects. 

Do you think we should have to take 2 years of foreign language to graduate?

Are you in a foreign language right now?

Do you think they should start teaching younger kids different languages?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I tink that taking 2 years of a foreign language class is very beneficial. I think it is helpful for everyone to know a little bit of Spanish or french. Even if you know a little bit it can help carry on a conversation with a foreign speaker. I am in Spanish 2 right now. Yes, they should teach Spanish to younger kids. 

• I disagree, because I don't think it should be required, because not very many people use it.

• I think foreign classes are almost pointless now. Using google translate would be easier and faster if you were ever having a conversation. I'm in Spanish 3 right now and I think it benefits my Spanish speaking a little. I think we should learn our english language more because there is so much more to learn.

• I agree that it's kind of pointless.

• No, I dont think that you should have to take 2 years of a foreign language class to graduate. People doesn't want to learn a new language so they shouldnt forse them. I am in a foreign language class at the moment. I do not think that they should teach a new language because kids strugle with their own language already.

• I also believe that we shouldn't have to take 2 years to graduate.

• No, I dont think that students should be forced to take 2 years of any type of foreign language. In my opion students should takes at least a year of a foreign language because it is good to have some background knowledge on what other countrys speak.

• I agree that they should not force students to learn a language they don't want to learn.

• I don't think that everybody should really be forced to take two years of foreign language because Not everybody is going to use it in their lives. I think that it would help a lot in many lives for example if they meet somebody that speaks a different language then you can communicate.

• I agree that it can help people, but it shouldn't be required.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker