Every day you can see students listening to music during class. Sometimes a teacher will ask them to take out their earbuds or take off their headphones. As a result of this, some students are annoyed by the fact that they can’t listen to music during class. So the question is… Should students be allowed to listen to music during class? Or should teachers continue to make the students take them out? 

Many teachers can argue that students should not have their earbuds in. Many believe that they simply do not listen to the teachers and just care about their music. Sometimes during class, teachers let their students listen to music during work time. According to healthline.com, students are less stressed and are more focused while listening to music in the background of working. This may be a reason why teachers allow their students to listen during work time. But why do teachers not allow music during normal class time? This could be because they believe that students cannot hear the teacher as well while music is playing in the background. But is this belief true? 

Many students think that they should be allowed to have earbuds in during class. Many students believe that they are more relaxed with music during class. Oftentimes when students have earbuds in, they can still hear the teacher talking during class. When students arrive at school, most are not excited. Many can argue that school is not a very exciting time/place. Most students believe that listening to music during class has many benefits. According to fnu, listening to music reduces anxiety. And to many studies, school can cause lots of stress and anxiety. Meaning that music can make students feel at ease while at school. 

As a student, I can say that music helps students during school 100% of the time. As I speak for most, it makes us feel relaxed, at ease, happy, ect. So why do teachers want to take that away from us? Yes, they may feel that we are not listening, however, instead of yelling in front of the class, just quietly ask us to turn it down. I can understand if a student has music blasting and it is disrupting the class. However, if a student can hear the teacher, and the music is not distracting, why tell us to take our earbud out?

After many studies, I can conclude that there are both good and bad effects to listening to music during class. I believe that students should be allowed to listen to music during class. Unless there is a test, or students are being disruptive, all students should be allowed to listen to music during class. 

Do you think students should be allowed to listen to music? 

Does listening to music help students focus during class?

https://www.healthline.com/health/does-music-help-you-study#benefits-of-music-for-studying

https://www.fnu.edu/benefits-studying-music/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and super job Logan! It really makes me want to look into this more.

• I believe students should be able to listen to music during work time, but when the teacher is teaching a topic or something. The teacher should determine if it is ok that students to listen to music. I listen to music often when I am working, but I usually don't listen to music while the teacher is talking. I do this to show respect to the teacher and show that I actually am listening to them.

• Personally, I think the decision of listening to music during class should be up to the student entirely. Because it would only be hurting the student if the music distracts them during instruction by the teacher. If I listened to music in class I think it would distract me rather than help me focus. 

• I agree. Most of the decision should depend on the student. If they don't pay attention, that hurts them. If they do better, then they should continue to listen to music. However there are some students that simply don't care about their grades, because of this, then teachers should be able to step in. 

• Personally I think that the students should get the choice of listening to music because it is only hurting them if they choose not to pay attention in class. I think that listening to music could go both ways in class depending on the person. Me personally I would not listen to music because it would distract me.

• I agree, I think that students should be able to listen to music during class. The only problem is that there are some people who would take advantage of that and possibly go off topic or watch videos or what not. I think that it helps you focus, and some days it really helps me, but on other days, it gets me distracted - like for example listening to music without lyrics helps me, but listening to music with lyrics distracts me. 

• I see what you are saying. But if a student goes off topic and watches videos or something, that is only hurting them. A teacher also may need to step in and take away those privilages. It is all preference on whether students listen to music or not while working. 

• I personally do not see a reason to not allow students to listen to music during worktime in classes. I understand why teachers would not want their students to be distracted from the music during instruction. But once instruction is over, I do not see a problem.

• I agree with you. If listening to music during class worktime does not cause a problem, then why restrict it. Students just want to enjoy school to the fullest and school can get very boring and tiring. Music is a great solution to fix that. 

• I think that students should be allowed to listen to music in classes. It can keep others around them quiet and that can help the environment around them. The students that can focus with music can listen to it and they can get their work down. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker