Every day you can see students listening to music during class. Sometimes a teacher will ask them to take out their earbuds or take off their headphones. As a result of this, some students are annoyed by the fact that they can’t listen to music during class. So the question is… Should students be allowed to listen to music during class? Or should teachers continue to make the students take them out? 

Many teachers can argue that students should not have their earbuds in. Many believe that they simply do not listen to the teachers and just care about their music. Sometimes during class, teachers let their students listen to music during work time. According to healthline.com, students are less stressed and are more focused while listening to music in the background of working. This may be a reason why teachers allow their students to listen during work time. But why do teachers not allow music during normal class time? This could be because they believe that students cannot hear the teacher as well while music is playing in the background. But is this belief true? 

Many students think that they should be allowed to have earbuds in during class. Many students believe that they are more relaxed with music during class. Oftentimes when students have earbuds in, they can still hear the teacher talking during class. When students arrive at school, most are not excited. Many can argue that school is not a very exciting time/place. Most students believe that listening to music during class has many benefits. According to fnu, listening to music reduces anxiety. And to many studies, school can cause lots of stress and anxiety. Meaning that music can make students feel at ease while at school. 

As a student, I can say that music helps students during school 100% of the time. As I speak for most, it makes us feel relaxed, at ease, happy, ect. So why do teachers want to take that away from us? Yes, they may feel that we are not listening, however, instead of yelling in front of the class, just quietly ask us to turn it down. I can understand if a student has music blasting and it is disrupting the class. However, if a student can hear the teacher, and the music is not distracting, why tell us to take our earbud out?

After many studies, I can conclude that there are both good and bad effects to listening to music during class. I believe that students should be allowed to listen to music during class. Unless there is a test, or students are being disruptive, all students should be allowed to listen to music during class. 

Do you think students should be allowed to listen to music? 

Does listening to music help students focus during class?

https://www.healthline.com/health/does-music-help-you-study#benefits-of-music-for-studying

https://www.fnu.edu/benefits-studying-music/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, if a student has good grades and they are listening to music, it should not be too big of a problem. As long as they are being respectful for those around them. Students should not be allowed to listem to blaring music that students around them can hear. 

• If students are not being respectful then they shouldn't be able to listen to music. I think that if students are blaring their music then they won't be able to listen to music anymore because it is bothering people around them. 

• I agree. Students would just have to keep a low enough volume to where they can hear and enjoy the music without everyone in the room hearing it. If a student does not follow the rules, then this can be taken away from them. 

• I agree. To some students, it might be unfair because they don't get to listen to music and everyone else can. The students that can't listen to music in class are the ones that lost their privilege not anyone else. I do think that it can effect student learning so I think that they should be able to listen to music when they are doing an assignment or homework.

• I understand what you are saying and I agree. Students will learn to be respectful of others when listening to music. If they use music inappropriately and are punished, it can be a learning experience. 

• I agree with everything you just said. I think that it would be a learning experience for that student. I think that on the first offense the student shouldn't be able to listen to music for a week or so. The second is longer and the third is longer. After their fifth they shouldn't be able to listen to music anymore for the year.

• I agree. I don't think that one person that is immature with the music should just ruin it for everyone. I think that it should just be a punishment for the 1 student, and not everyone else. 

• I feel like students that are disrespectful and have their music deafening are the ones that ruin it for everyone. If the teacher can walk by and hear their music, they don't get to listen to it for a certain amount of time. I think that their should be different amount of punishments depending on how many times they've been caught.

• I agree with what you said. I also think there should be a rule that you lose your music in just that class not every class. I think if the student isn't supposed to listen to music and they do I think they should have the music taken away for a long time. 

• I agree. For instance the first time you are using this privilage inappropriately, you loose it for the day. Second, for the week. 3rd, you don't get to listen to music at all. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker