Every day you can see students listening to music during class. Sometimes a teacher will ask them to take out their earbuds or take off their headphones. As a result of this, some students are annoyed by the fact that they can’t listen to music during class. So the question is… Should students be allowed to listen to music during class? Or should teachers continue to make the students take them out? 

Many teachers can argue that students should not have their earbuds in. Many believe that they simply do not listen to the teachers and just care about their music. Sometimes during class, teachers let their students listen to music during work time. According to healthline.com, students are less stressed and are more focused while listening to music in the background of working. This may be a reason why teachers allow their students to listen during work time. But why do teachers not allow music during normal class time? This could be because they believe that students cannot hear the teacher as well while music is playing in the background. But is this belief true? 

Many students think that they should be allowed to have earbuds in during class. Many students believe that they are more relaxed with music during class. Oftentimes when students have earbuds in, they can still hear the teacher talking during class. When students arrive at school, most are not excited. Many can argue that school is not a very exciting time/place. Most students believe that listening to music during class has many benefits. According to fnu, listening to music reduces anxiety. And to many studies, school can cause lots of stress and anxiety. Meaning that music can make students feel at ease while at school. 

As a student, I can say that music helps students during school 100% of the time. As I speak for most, it makes us feel relaxed, at ease, happy, ect. So why do teachers want to take that away from us? Yes, they may feel that we are not listening, however, instead of yelling in front of the class, just quietly ask us to turn it down. I can understand if a student has music blasting and it is disrupting the class. However, if a student can hear the teacher, and the music is not distracting, why tell us to take our earbud out?

After many studies, I can conclude that there are both good and bad effects to listening to music during class. I believe that students should be allowed to listen to music during class. Unless there is a test, or students are being disruptive, all students should be allowed to listen to music during class. 

Do you think students should be allowed to listen to music? 

Does listening to music help students focus during class?

https://www.healthline.com/health/does-music-help-you-study#benefits-of-music-for-studying

https://www.fnu.edu/benefits-studying-music/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree. Music is a great way to block out outside noise and focus on other things. Music is a great way to focus more and decrease the amount of stress you have. Most people even feel more calm while listening to music. 

• I think students should be allowed to listen to music because it helps them focus and do better work. They can still concentrate on the assignment and do what is necessary to pass the class. People should allow kids to listen to music due to many advantages.

• I agree. I believe that students work better and more efficient while listening to music. Students concentrate more and feel less stresed. I agree with the statement of many advantages. Listening to music includes many advantages while working on something. 

• I think we should be able to listen to music durring down time in class. When a teacher is talking and people listen to music, the teacher feels disrespected and not listened to. Durring english whenever we have down time, we can listen to muisc and quietly study. 

• I partly agree with you. Students should not listen to music while the teacher is giving a lecture. However, I think that there are some cases that students should be allowed to listen to music during class. 

• I think it should be allowed for students to listen to music while working on whatever is going on in that class just not while the teacher is teaching because you won't really know what is going on.  I feel like music helps students focus alot more then listening to all of the chatter.

• I agree with you. Music can block out all of the chatter. Sometime when I am working, I loose my trait of thought. Then I have to go over what I was just doing. With music, it blocks all of that chatter out. 

• I personally don't think that they should be able to listen to music while the teacher is teaching. If students are listening to music the whole time they aren't going to know what is going on. But, I think if they are just working on something and it isn't bothering anyone they should be able to.

• I agree with you, students should not be able to listen to music while the teacher is teacher. They could miss out on valuable information. As long as the music and quiet and the student can still hear the teacher just in case they need something, listening to music while working should not be a problem. 

• In my opion students should be able to listen to music during class but not during a semester test or a big test.  I believe that if you listen to music it is way easier to stay on task. If you don't have headphones it is easy to get distracted and off task. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker