Should smoking in public be banned?

Since people have been able to smoke in public there have been a lot of people that have had heart attacks. also researchers found that smoking bans can reduce the number of heart attacks by as much as 26% per year. however public smoking bans seem to be tremendously effective in reducing heart attack and it might also help to prevent lung cancer and emphysema, diseases that develop much more slowly than heart attacks.  public smoking could prevent as many as 154,000 heart attacks each year and second-hand smoke increases the risk by 30 percent. 

Public smoking bans had a stronger effect in reducing heart attacks among women and younger individuals, which may be explained in part because younger people tend to frequent clubs, restaurants, and bars where smoking is a likely part of the social scene. Secondhand smoke is thought to increase the likelihood of a heart attack by making the blood “sticky” and more prone to clotting. Also, the good news is that the beneficial effects of smoking bans appear to be fairly immediate, with declines in reported heart attack cases within 3 months.

The impact of bans was strengthened if compliance was good, if baseline smoking prevalence was low, and if air quality was good. While cardiologists routinely screen for lipid disorders and high blood pressure, they also need to become vigilant about asking patients about tobacco use and secondhand smoke exposure and provide counseling as needed.

Do you think that smoking in public should be banned?

Do you think it would lower the chances of heart attacks?

https://www.acc.org/about-acc/press-releases/2010/02/22/11/56/21 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think smoking in public should definitely be banned. It is in no way fair for people's own actions and choices to affect other people. Especially if these actions could even cause another person to have a heart attack or cancer. It would also be annoying just having to smell in the smoke.

• I do not think that you could stop people from smoking in public. I feel it would be suitable for the population of the United States to prevent people from smoking in public. It may even cause people to stop smoking. However I think that it would be too hard to stop people from smoking in public.

• While it hasn't really bothered me when I see people smoking in public, It should probably be banned due to it setting a bad example for children and having that smoke in the air can be pretty bad depending on how long you are breathing it in for.

• I think that people should be able to smoke in public areas. Many children can get exposed to it and it can be very harmful to them. Especially since they are still growing. Also, people that smoke in public can potentially smoke near pregnant women which could harm the baby.

• I do think smoking in public areas can and should be banned by our government. It is not good for anyone to breathe in first or second hand smoke. It can make people annoyed which can lead to fights or even law enforcement intervention. I personally think it should be banned nation-wide.

• I think that smoking in public can be banned. It isn't good for you to breathe in the smoke, even if it is second hand. The smell of smoke can bother some people, and it can affect their health as well. I think that you should only be able to smoke in designated areas away from other people.

• I think that smoking in public should be banned. It can be annoying for people who don't smoke and the smoke might bother them and might affect their health as well. I think that there should be like designated areas where people are allowed to smoke. 

• I think that smoking in public should not be banned, there are already places where you're not allowed to smoke and there is no harm to smoking outside in public as long as you are of age and not blowing it into the faces of people next to you I think it's okay.

• I think that smoking in publi should be banned. Even if you don't smoke, being right next to someone can still affect you, if you are smelling and breathing in the smoke. I think that banning it in public could defiently help some people and lower some of the health problems.

• I think that that is a a persosns choice on if they would like to smoke ibn public or not it is their moeny that they spend ton those ciggrates so they should be alowed to do what they want and smoke those ciggrates whwere they want.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker