Should Sex Ed be taught in school?

In 5th or 6th grade us children usually watch a half hour video, about puberty and what will happen to our bodies throughout Middle School and High School. What we don’t know is what exactly we experience. We have to figure out ourselves what STI’s are, and how to treat our bodies the right way, what to expect from our bodies and how to treat a certain problem, like a yeast infection or balanitis.

I personally like to learn about our bodies and to help our bodies with the right treatment. We need to learn what’s bad and to keep safe. STI’s are a real thing, we need to protect ourselves. Using birth control, or using rubber, that doesn’t always keep us safe from herpes, syphilis, and CMV, these can be caused by kissing, and us being teenagers getting into relationships we need to stay clear from all of these.

Sex Education can be known as a funny class, we make jokes about it but this class will do justice to us as students to understand and help our bodies. For one, this class will make us more aware of the things going on in our bodies, and we need to know that, and I don’t mean on a cellular level just a basic concept so we know how to treat illness, or infections, to know if we need a check up from a doctor or to know if we can just treat it ourselves.

According to Iowa Code, “Each school board should provide age-appropriate and research-based instruction in human growth and development, including instruction regarding human sexuality, self-esteem, stress management, interpersonal relationships, domestic abuse, HPV and the availability of a vaccine to prevent HPV, and acquired immune deficiency syndrome as required in grades one through twelve.”

In only seven states, sex education is a required class in high school, Iowa is one, however, Iowa only shows kids the puberty video and that just doesn’t give us, now young adults, much information. Iowa is even supposed to give us a program called TPP. It would be apart of sex ed, but we don’t have the class. So, should Sex Ed be taught in school?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that it should be taught in school but I don't think is should go past freshmen year. I think we should have them as a freshmen or in 8th grade. I think it would be good for kids but at the same time it is the parents job to talk to them about that. In 5th grade we had the video but I don't know if it was helpful for people but I knew a lot of it before then. 

• I think that it should be required. I feel that it is important, especially going into high school with people starting to date, to understand how your body works, how STIs are transmitted, and much more. 

• The thing about dating is, we do and we don't date in middle school, real long term relationships happen in high school and witht hese long term relationships we try new and broad things, so having a class would definitly help undertand this.

• This is a bit of a hard topic for me but yes. Definetly, especially because there are some kids being sexually assaulted and they have no way of knowing what they're experiencing isn't normal and I'm not sure how young it should be taught but there just needs to be some type of wrong touch right touch and sex ed teach in school. This can also prevent teen pregnancies and promote use of contreceptives as well.

• perhaps this class doesn't show us how to use a tampons or how to control our body smells, it would still be helping us learn about more dangerous and worryful matters.

• I think that sex education definetly needs to be provided in school. If it isn't taught, students are forced to go to their parents or guardians for advice/ answers, and that can be hard for some kids to do. Instead, if students are taught most things in school, it would make their lives much easier, and safer.

• we must feel comfortable enough to talk to someone we trust, especially when it comes to personalized problems. This could potentionally help this.

• I do think that it should be taought in school. Some kids are very immature and that causes teen pregnacys and many more problems. I think they should have someone talk about it becuase some kids do not get the talk and are very confused about it. 

• Sometimes we are too nervous or scared to talk to a school nurse or a parent about these situations and it's nothing to be afraid of its natrual but a class about sex, menstration, pregnancy, i think it'd be good for everyone to know about these things.

• I think that it should be taught in school. Some kids do not have a parent figure to teach them some of the things that they should be taught. I feel having this class will help students to be safe and protected in the long run. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker