Should Schools have dress codes?

Should schools have dress codes, to a certain extent they should, however, I feel like boys have much more freedom of clothing options than girls. Now this isn’t a girls’ rights post but I have seen some of the shortest shorts on boys and if a girl wears any type of shorts that are thigh length, she gets dress coded and a lunch detention. Honestly, I find it unfair, we have learned that if we wear something ‘girly’ we get commented on how ungodly it is, but if we wear a baggy outfit we dress too much like a guy. 

Dress codes are for our benefit and teachers benefits, though, some teachers take it way too far, in my opinion. They’ll call someone out in class just to tell them to cover up, we find it embarrassing. Most times now if someone gets dress-coded they kind of protest, by wearing something similar the next day and argue about it. 

I come from a school that had a low dress code policy and it wasn’t bad, boys and girls knew what they could and couldn’t wear. There weren't arguments about it, or assemblies, we students have common sense, we know we can’t wear a bikini top to school or swim trunks to school, we as a whole know we all have out of school clothes and in school clothes.

Today fashion is to show a bit of stomach with crop tops, loose and tight. Or to show a bit of thighs with ripped jeans and sports/jean shorts, most everyone shops for nice looking clothes before school but when we come to school we can’t wear half of that without having to put a hoodie over it or to cover up. We try to find the most trendy outfits but with our own tastes, it's known that we dress to impress and we dress based on our personalities and our likes. If that means very trendy outfits we should be allowed to wear it. For boys and girls. So, should there be dress codes at school? But be more lenient about it?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• In my opinion there should be dress codes at school but they shouldn't be so strict. As you said, boys are much more free in these aspect and can wear all the clothes they want. Having to wear a certain type of clothes can be considered unrespectful (like a bikini) but in my opinion almost everybody knows what is correct to wear and what is not. However, if someone has really inapropiated clothes I think they could have a dress code. 

• I think that there should be a dress code becuase some people don't know what to show and what to not to show. I think they should be a little bit more leaniant because some people coming up with dress codes say that shoulders are so distracting when there is just shoulder.

• I think there should still be a dress code so kids do not take advantage of it and I think that maybe they should be a little more leaniant becuase the people coming up with the dress codes are acting like shoulders are so distracting when its just shoulders.

• I believe that there should be a dress code. You're right, they very much could be more lenient about it. We want to be able to wear what we want to wear, be confident and comfortable while wearing it, and not feel like we need to cover up because it’s “distracting” for certain people. I do understand that there should be a limit on how far you can go, like what Erika said about wearing a swimsuit top to school, which would be blatantly breaking the dress code, but people in this school have enough common sense to not even consider doing that. Altogether, it shouldn’t matter as much as it does that our shoulders are showing or that our thighs or bellybutton are making an appearance. All that matters is being comfortable in our own skin, and not being judged for little things like that.

• I think we should definitely have dress codes. It is not sexist and it is what it is. Some outfits people wear can be distracting and some are just for attention. If you wanna dress in something else outside of school then go for it but don't wear anything distracting in a place where we are supposed to be learing, not showing off.

• I agree, the outfits some people wear are distracting like certain clothing, but, I've only seen it here once or twice so i'm sure most of us students know what we can and cant wear. 

• I personally think we should have dress code. Some outfits students may chose to wear can be very distracting. However, I believe our school should be more lenient on dress code. Some of our staff members are very picky on what they dress code us for. 

• I think that girls and guys should be able to wear what they want just to a extent like no showing this and this and this. Besides people in the school know the dress code rules and it only loosened up from middle school so I dont really see what people are complaining about.

• I agree girls should be able to wear something as simple as a tanktop. If we have a little bit of our stomach showing I think it should be okay. Today that is a common style and it's normalized seeing a girl wearing a crop top. 

• I think they should have dress codes to an extent. They are good for students who think they can wear whatever they want. But I know a lot of girls get annoyed with dress codes because they will get it more often than the guys. So it is worse for the girls in the school rather than the guys. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker