Should Schools have dress codes?

Should schools have dress codes, to a certain extent they should, however, I feel like boys have much more freedom of clothing options than girls. Now this isn’t a girls’ rights post but I have seen some of the shortest shorts on boys and if a girl wears any type of shorts that are thigh length, she gets dress coded and a lunch detention. Honestly, I find it unfair, we have learned that if we wear something ‘girly’ we get commented on how ungodly it is, but if we wear a baggy outfit we dress too much like a guy. 

Dress codes are for our benefit and teachers benefits, though, some teachers take it way too far, in my opinion. They’ll call someone out in class just to tell them to cover up, we find it embarrassing. Most times now if someone gets dress-coded they kind of protest, by wearing something similar the next day and argue about it. 

I come from a school that had a low dress code policy and it wasn’t bad, boys and girls knew what they could and couldn’t wear. There weren't arguments about it, or assemblies, we students have common sense, we know we can’t wear a bikini top to school or swim trunks to school, we as a whole know we all have out of school clothes and in school clothes.

Today fashion is to show a bit of stomach with crop tops, loose and tight. Or to show a bit of thighs with ripped jeans and sports/jean shorts, most everyone shops for nice looking clothes before school but when we come to school we can’t wear half of that without having to put a hoodie over it or to cover up. We try to find the most trendy outfits but with our own tastes, it's known that we dress to impress and we dress based on our personalities and our likes. If that means very trendy outfits we should be allowed to wear it. For boys and girls. So, should there be dress codes at school? But be more lenient about it?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that there should be dress codes but I don't think that they need to be as strict as they are.  I agree with the one that the school has in place right now.  I think that if there isn't a dress then people would wear things to school that are completely inappropriate.

• I believe that schools should have dress codes.  The reason why I think schools should have dress codes is because if they didn't have dress code place in order I think people would wear something they should not be wearing.

• In my opion their should be a dress code in place. I also belive that some teachers have a differnent way of what is right and what is wrong. For examples girls should have to right to wear what they want to a point were it can get out of hand. Boys don't have to care as much.

• I believe that schools should have dress codes. However, I believe that they could be a little less strict tho. 

• I think that schools should definitely have a dress code that needs to be enforced for all of the students to follow. Although in some cases I think the school can get a little bit ahead of themselves with how restrictive their dress codes are. Especially with today's fashion, it would be a lot nicer if the dress code today at our school was a little more relaxed. 

• I personally think that schools should most definetly have some sort of dress code in place that the students must follow. Although, I do think that sometimes schools can get a little bit too carried away with how restrictive their dress codes are. I, as a guy that wears mainly athletic clothes, have never had an issue with the dress code at this school.

• I think that schools definitely need a dress code. Dress codes don't have to necassarily be so strict, but you should have ot cover obvious spots. I don't think that the dress code is very bad, however, I am a guy and I don't really have much trouble with the dress code. 

• I think that schools should have dress codes, but I think they should be more lenient about it. I think that schools should update their dress codes so it fits with some of todays fashion. If schools didn't have dress codes, then students can wear whatever they want. 

• Coming from a school with a fairly strict dress code it wasn't all that bad. We had to wear either jeans or khakis and a solid colored polo shirt. However, I find what we have here to be fairly good in terms of selection and freedom, but I'm saying this from the perspective of a boy, so I have no idea what girls think about the dress code.

• I think we should have a dress code, but they don't have to be so strict about it. I think especially with todays fashion the dress code could be changed just a little. I think we definetly need one and not having one would allow kids to think they can wear anything and everything.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker