Should Schools have dress codes?

Should schools have dress codes, to a certain extent they should, however, I feel like boys have much more freedom of clothing options than girls. Now this isn’t a girls’ rights post but I have seen some of the shortest shorts on boys and if a girl wears any type of shorts that are thigh length, she gets dress coded and a lunch detention. Honestly, I find it unfair, we have learned that if we wear something ‘girly’ we get commented on how ungodly it is, but if we wear a baggy outfit we dress too much like a guy. 

Dress codes are for our benefit and teachers benefits, though, some teachers take it way too far, in my opinion. They’ll call someone out in class just to tell them to cover up, we find it embarrassing. Most times now if someone gets dress-coded they kind of protest, by wearing something similar the next day and argue about it. 

I come from a school that had a low dress code policy and it wasn’t bad, boys and girls knew what they could and couldn’t wear. There weren't arguments about it, or assemblies, we students have common sense, we know we can’t wear a bikini top to school or swim trunks to school, we as a whole know we all have out of school clothes and in school clothes.

Today fashion is to show a bit of stomach with crop tops, loose and tight. Or to show a bit of thighs with ripped jeans and sports/jean shorts, most everyone shops for nice looking clothes before school but when we come to school we can’t wear half of that without having to put a hoodie over it or to cover up. We try to find the most trendy outfits but with our own tastes, it's known that we dress to impress and we dress based on our personalities and our likes. If that means very trendy outfits we should be allowed to wear it. For boys and girls. So, should there be dress codes at school? But be more lenient about it?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Personally I think that there should be a dress code for nothing racist or have violence, but  inappropriate with moderation. Girls are proven to have bigger chest, stomach and to have thicker thighs. Why are facilities distracted by shoulders or cleavage? I think they are more directed to girls than boys.

• I do not think that there should be dress codes. I do think that yes of course there should be a set limit to what you wear in school. Normally dress codes limit a little too much, and sometimes it's targeted towards girls. Theres not many times throughout the year you see a boy getting dresscoded compared to a girl. 

• I do not belive there should be a dress code, the only dress code that should be enforced is if your whole part is showing or hanging out. I do think that a strap on the sholder isnt inaporite enough to get dress coded or even sent to the office, I do beilevive some people would abuse a non strict code.

• I think there should be a dress code but they deffenintly need to be more lenient with it. because if we are being honest people are mature aren't gonna get distracted by clothes and we are old enough to understand that we are all different. so if the dress code does get taken away i won't care but if it changed it should be more lenient.

• I don't think there should be a dress code because sometimes it makes no sense. Like the fact that we can't wear tank tops unlesss the strap is a certain width. I feel sometimes the school doesn't care what you wear unless your a different body type. Like crops some girls aren't able to wear those but others are it doesn't make sense to me.

• I think that there shouldn't be a dress code because I much rather wear what I want to at school than what they tell me I have to wear. but it might be helpful sometimes because then you don't have to think about what to wear and maybe save some time. 

• I dont think schools should have dress codes because some familes might not be able to afford the clothing and some people like to dress comfy some days and some people like to dress up. I think there should be a dress code in schools just not so strict.

• I feel to a certain extent there should be dress codes but for the little things like a tink top or your shoulder showing isn't even fair I think that is dumb. I feel that dress code is a way of making sure students dress apropriate but at the same time I feel we should be able to wear what we want to and extent because its our bodys not theres we can choose what we put on our bodys.

• I dont think that schools should have dress codes. It limits the kids ability for them to express themselves and it might hinder them mentaly. I dont think there is a real problem with the different genders getting to wear whatever they want. Girls chose to wear what they wear and so do guys. 

• I think there should be dress codes at school, but they shouldn't be super strict about it. I think it wouldn't a good idea for student to wear whatever they want. However, I think the dress codes should be kind of lenient because students should have a little freedom to express themselves as long as it is not offensive.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker