Should Schools have dress codes?

Should schools have dress codes, to a certain extent they should, however, I feel like boys have much more freedom of clothing options than girls. Now this isn’t a girls’ rights post but I have seen some of the shortest shorts on boys and if a girl wears any type of shorts that are thigh length, she gets dress coded and a lunch detention. Honestly, I find it unfair, we have learned that if we wear something ‘girly’ we get commented on how ungodly it is, but if we wear a baggy outfit we dress too much like a guy. 

Dress codes are for our benefit and teachers benefits, though, some teachers take it way too far, in my opinion. They’ll call someone out in class just to tell them to cover up, we find it embarrassing. Most times now if someone gets dress-coded they kind of protest, by wearing something similar the next day and argue about it. 

I come from a school that had a low dress code policy and it wasn’t bad, boys and girls knew what they could and couldn’t wear. There weren't arguments about it, or assemblies, we students have common sense, we know we can’t wear a bikini top to school or swim trunks to school, we as a whole know we all have out of school clothes and in school clothes.

Today fashion is to show a bit of stomach with crop tops, loose and tight. Or to show a bit of thighs with ripped jeans and sports/jean shorts, most everyone shops for nice looking clothes before school but when we come to school we can’t wear half of that without having to put a hoodie over it or to cover up. We try to find the most trendy outfits but with our own tastes, it's known that we dress to impress and we dress based on our personalities and our likes. If that means very trendy outfits we should be allowed to wear it. For boys and girls. So, should there be dress codes at school? But be more lenient about it?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes, when we are in uniform it's like theres no dress code, but once we are not they enforce it strongly. A leniate dress code would be great and apprciated.

• I feel that the school should not have a dress code or at least a less strict on because with todays clothes it is hard to get a shirt that is long enough with out looking like a grandma. The school should also take in to acount the fact that if people are getting distacted that is there problem and they probably weren't going to pay attention any ways.

• I feel like dress codes take away induvidulality and people that enforce dress codes should be more lenient with it. if we're being completely honest them saying that shoulders destract learners is completely crazy. Boys don't honestly look at girls stomachs or their shoulders literally ask any boy. But I definitely think that there should be a line. it's literally common sense on what not to wear. if your asking yourself if it's appropriate then it probably isn't <3

• I think there should still be a dress code but a little more lenient. I think they target girls who have bigger chests and girls cant control that. Its a little biast and if their gonna be strict about something it should at least be consistant. I think expressing your style is also important. But i think theres a fine line between expressing yourself and just showing too much doing so. 

• I believe that students should be able to wear what they want without the school saying what's right and what's wrong. The only reason that there is a dress code is to stop students and faculty from being disctracted from learning/teaching. But if people get distracted from what someone is wearing, they were not planning on listening in the first place.

• This is true and I find it a bit concerning if the faculty will get distracted by shoulders or a stomach. Plus, I don't think I have ever heard or seen a boy ever get distarcted by stomach/shoulders. 

• I think that dress codes have many pros and cons. I think if you didn't have a dress code then people would take advantage of it and wear clothes not appropriate at all. I think if you have a super strict dress code then people will want to rebel more and break the "code".

• I think schools should have dress codes, but they should be more layed back about it. Like as long no one is being completely distracted by it you should be fine. But dont being aloud to wear a certsin tanktop because the straps are too skinny is just to strict to me. As long as no one is shirtless or pantless i think you should be fine.

• I think that there should be a dress code but I feel that the dress code we have no it too strict. like having your stomach showing is not the end of the world. of course, there are limits I feel that you shouldn't be almost naked there's a sweet middle between too strict and too relaxed.

• I feel like the school should have a dress code but it should not be as strict. The school should not allow shirts that have bad language or bad figures. I reallly don't see the problem with girls showing their sholders. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker