Should schools use tablets or textbooks?

Textbooks have been used in classrooms for several years to help students learn important information. But now that we have newer technology, many schools are wondering if using tablets to learn this information would be more beneficial. The positives and negatives to both tablets and textbooks have schools stumped on which is the best to use. 

There are many positives to using tablets for learning. For example, multiple textbooks can be kept on one tablet along with homework and quizzes. This can help to eliminate the storage needed for physical classroom materials. Tablets also have many features that textbooks don’t have. You can highlight or underline which you can’t do in a textbook. Tablets are also great for teaching students technology skills that they will need in the future as technology gets more advanced. Textbooks sometimes can have outdated information. If tablets are used, then current information is available for students.

However, there are also some downsides to using tablets. Tablets are associated with many different health problems. They cause eyestrain, headaches, and can cause musculoskeletal disorders if used too often. Tablets also make it easier for students to cheat because they can look up the answers instead of reading. Students can also get distracted very easily on tablets, which might make them put off their school work until the very last minute. Technological issues also can be a problem with tablets. Using textbooks saves you the headache of frozen screens or getting hacked.

If I had to choose between tablets or textbooks, I would choose textbooks. I think that reading off of a screen all day would make my eyes tired. Reading out of a textbook would be easier for me to comprehend what I am reading because there are less distractions. I know that tablets are great for teaching technology skills, but I think that we use our computers enough that we have a good understanding of how to use technology. 

Would you rather use a tablet or a textbook?

Do you think there will be a time when schools don’t use textbooks anymore?

https://www.eztexting.com/textbooks-vs-tablets 

https://tablets-textbooks.procon.org/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic and well done Lindsey! Not counting page one, I do think you could have replied a few more times.

• I think it is a 50-50 type thing sometimes a textbook is more useful than a tablet but at the same time, a tablet can be more useful than a textbook. It all depends on the class you're taking. 

• I would definetley rather use textbooks also. We already have enough technology in our lives and the health effects are bad. I also feel like kids learn better reading from a textbook. There are too many distractions on computers and tablets as well.

• I would rather use a tablet then a textbook. I feel like it would be more neat and efficent. If someone forgets one textbook their whole day is in troublr but if you have everything on tablet you won't have to worry if you forgot your book your tablet is all you have to keep track of.

• I would rather use a tablet to do school rather then a textbook becuase I like to have stuff read to me. Having stuff read to you is so much better then reading it your self and not know what is happening. 

• I personally would prefer the textbooks over tablets. I feel like it is easier and less tempting to follow along and not get distracted by using textbooks. I'd say in the future kids will be using tablets over textbooks. This is because future generations won't want to look at books over technology.

• I personally would like using tablets better. I think its easier to find information and you can really do whatever you want with the text when its electronic. There will be a time in the future were most schools are gonna use all tablets because textbooks are already getting old now and I think a few teachers also find it easier to use tablets. 

• I would rather use a textbook, even though on a tablet you can highlight and underlight things, you can pretty much do the same with a textbook by just write down whatever information you need to on a notebook. Also, using tablets can have bad health problems, like eyestrains, and headaches. If I had to guess, I would think schools in the future might not use textbooks any more because of the fact of everthing getting more electronic.

• We already dont use textbooks very often anymore, we usually use our computers. So if they decided to get tablets instead of textbooks I think it wouldnt really change anything. Also our world will eventually turn into mostly all electonic so why not learn more about that stuff now.

• I would rather use a tablet. They seem more modern. Textbook might not have up to date information. And if a school wants up to date info, they would have to purchase textbooks every year for every class. Unlike tablets you have to buy for incoming students that just entered the school

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker