Should schools require certain classes?

Everyone has that one class that they despise. For me personally, I could live without History. Nothing against Bruns or anything, but I just don't see the point in the class if I'm never going to use the information in my future career. I also think that science, math, and English passed the basic knowledge needed for everyday human interaction is unnecessary. If you are thinking of pursuing a future career that requires this extra knowledge, take the dang classes in college. Some people might be thinking, well, history is needed to prevent the past from repeating itself and math is needed to solve your everyday arithmetic problems, English is needed for communication through speech and writing, and science is important for understanding the world around us. While these things are important, you don't need to know the difference between who and whom to communicate every day and we have spell check for a reason. You can also live without knowing how the human body works and the difference between your biceps and forceps, or how to find the hypotenuse of a right triangle or the surface area of a pentagon. History can be taught through stories and the experiences of other people. We don't need to know where Hitler went wrong in his rise to power. I think that we should be required to learn the basics then if we want to learn more about the subject, we can choose to take them for further knowledge.

Perhaps you have a different opinion or see something I don't.

What do you see?

Do you think that these classes are needed for the good of our future or not?

What class could you live without?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that some classes should be required up to a certain year. I understand why math is required, but I don't think that English should be required past freshmen year. I think that there should also be more variation in the "core" classes, like different math options.

• I think that some classes should be required up to a certain point. Most of us aren't going to use most of what we are learning in science right now unless you are going in to a science based career. Classes like english and algebra should be required mabe geometry. I think we should have the ability to choose classes for careers that we want to go into.

• I feel that some classes may not be needed for someone's career path in the future, but it is good to know about our history, how to solve math problems and so on. The things you learn in the class may not be used in the future, but at least you know incase it does come up.

• I think that there should be a couple of classes that we are required to take, other than that we should be able to choose at least half of our classes. I think that we should have to take English, Math, and some type of History class for sure. I feel I could live without my required P.E. class and Science. 

• I think students should pick their own classes because it gives them time to find a suitable schedule for that student so its not so stressing to them and because its more fun when you pick your favourite activites and course that will help them in the future. 

• I think there are certain classes that should be required. I think the current ones that are required are good and basic knowledge in all of them are good for us. But there are some classes that I do not wanna take especially when I know that I won't be using them in the future.

• Yes. Everyone has at least one class that they know that they won't use in their future career but they might be inspired by that class to go into a completely different field of work because of that class.

• I think that students should be able to choose their classes and not be required to take certain classes but I understand that subjects like math are necessary concepts everybody should now. I like how it is right now, being able to choose between some electives but have some required classes too. 

• I like the freedom to choose different extracurricular classes, but I don't think classes that go past the knowledge for everyday interaction should be required.

• I think that History is a good class to take it is only one class period out of two years out of four years of high school, so thinking like that and looking more at the bigger picture I think that it is not that big of a deal to go through with these classes. It also might spark interest because there are students who didn't realize they like History and they never would have realized that they like it if they weren't required to take it.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker