Should schools have uniforms?

Should schools have uniforms? school uniforms are most commonly used in private schools,yet more public schools are adopting the idea of having school uniforms. According to a 2020 report, the percentage of public schools that require school uniforms went from 12% in the 1999 to 2000 school year to 20% in the 2017-18 school year. 

The most frequently required uniforms are elementary schools with 23% followed by middle school with 18% in high schools with 10%. There are many Pros that benefit the schools and students like, helping students focus on the educator, not their clothes. It creates a level playing field among students, reduces peer pressure and bullying, enhances school pride, unity and school spirit. Helps improve attendance and makes getting ready in the morning easier for students. Legal rights to free expression remain intact with school uniforms, people can express themselves individually in their uniforms by introducing variations and adding accessories.

Problems also do come to light with school uniforms. But just like the pros there are a lot of consStudents freedom of  expression,  school uniforms do not stop bullying and may increase violent attacks, Do not approve attendance, Academic preparedness or exam results, The key finding the benefit of the doubt is that uniforms are questionable. Students also do not like the idea that uniforms Can affect students' self image. Parents should be free to choose their children's clothes without being ridiculed. School uniforms May delay the transition into adulthood. 

As you can see there is a lot of evidence,  in the positives and negatives  of having uniforms. Most public schools don't wear uniforms and that's okay. Yes, I think it would be good to have something a little more in order, but we're a public school, everyone is different. 

Should students be able to decide this for themselves? 

Would you be okay wearing a uniform? 

Pro-and-con-school-uniforms

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, Students should be allowed to dress how they want and be comfortable. 

• I think Schools shsould not have school uniforms I understand at a private school but public education is free people are allowed to wear what they want. Some kids care a lot about what they wear and wearing a school uniform could make some kids even less encoureged to go to school.

• I do not believe that uniforms should be required for school. I think that students should be able to decide what they wear. I would hate it if I had to wear a uniform to school because I like what I wear, and it would be uncomfortable. 

• I totally agree, Students should be allowed  to display their likes and dislikes, but I wish that what some students should be more appropriate

• I don't think that schools should require uniforms. I like wearing what I want to wear at school.  I don't want to wear sweaters.  I personally have not felt scared about what I wear to school.  I don't think that students should focus on what they're wearing to school because it really doesn't matter.

• I don't think that schools should require students to wear uniforms. I think that students should be able to wear whatever they want that is school appropriate. In my opinion I think that if schools require students to wear uniforms there would be students that fight that rule. 

• I agree, but I wish that what some students should be more appropriate.

• I think public school students should have the decision to wear what they want to school, but I think if you go to a private school and those are the rules then you should have to wear a uniform. I personally wouldn't like to wear a uniform because I like to dress comfortably in sweatpants and sweatshirts, and I think many other students wouldn't like to wear uniforms either.

• I do not think that students should have to wear a uniform. Clothes are some students' only way to express themselves. Students should be able to decide what they wear everyday, not the school. If I had to wear a uniform to school, the only reason I would like it is because I would not have to pick out an outfit everyday.

• I think that the students should have a say in what they wear to places. I would not be alright to wear a uniform to school because of what kids wear is half of their personallity. I also think that it has to be appropiet for you to wear it to school.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker