Should schools have uniforms?

Should schools have uniforms? school uniforms are most commonly used in private schools,yet more public schools are adopting the idea of having school uniforms. According to a 2020 report, the percentage of public schools that require school uniforms went from 12% in the 1999 to 2000 school year to 20% in the 2017-18 school year. 

The most frequently required uniforms are elementary schools with 23% followed by middle school with 18% in high schools with 10%. There are many Pros that benefit the schools and students like, helping students focus on the educator, not their clothes. It creates a level playing field among students, reduces peer pressure and bullying, enhances school pride, unity and school spirit. Helps improve attendance and makes getting ready in the morning easier for students. Legal rights to free expression remain intact with school uniforms, people can express themselves individually in their uniforms by introducing variations and adding accessories.

Problems also do come to light with school uniforms. But just like the pros there are a lot of consStudents freedom of  expression,  school uniforms do not stop bullying and may increase violent attacks, Do not approve attendance, Academic preparedness or exam results, The key finding the benefit of the doubt is that uniforms are questionable. Students also do not like the idea that uniforms Can affect students' self image. Parents should be free to choose their children's clothes without being ridiculed. School uniforms May delay the transition into adulthood. 

As you can see there is a lot of evidence,  in the positives and negatives  of having uniforms. Most public schools don't wear uniforms and that's okay. Yes, I think it would be good to have something a little more in order, but we're a public school, everyone is different. 

Should students be able to decide this for themselves? 

Would you be okay wearing a uniform? 

Pro-and-con-school-uniforms

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I totally agree, Students should be allowed to dress how they want. I bet uniforms wouldn't be that comfortable ether.

• I think that students can find and express themselves with the clothes that they wear, so forcing uniforms kind of prohibits that creativity. I don't think that uniforms really do anything because either way, you will have people violating them, and  I really just don't see the need for them.

• I do not think public schools should be able to require a uniform. But I think that private schools should be able to. I see now it is benifical. I would not mind because then I would not have to pick out an outfit everyday for school. 

• I think that we should not have uniforms. I think that it dose nothing, I don't think that it makes a difference in the class room. The uniform thing should be an option for some but I think that we should be able to where confortiable cloth's. 

• I agree, Students should be allowed to dress how they want. But it would help the less fortunate who couldn't afford better clothes.

• I don't think students should have to wear uniforms in hgihschool. I think most people at this age should know what to wear and what not to wear to school or in public. If anything public schools should just have a dress code, it would still give students flexable dressing while still being appropriate.

• In my opinion school uniforms should only be wore in elementary and middle school. In high school, students are mature enough to show their style and decide their clothes. However, wearing a uniform saves a lot of money and make it the same for everybody. I think students should have the opportunity of deciding themselves. I would be okay wearing a uniform as long as it is not uncomfortable.

• I don't think that students should have to wear uniforms. A students clothes is a way for them to express their selfs. In 1 of my old schools we had to wear uniforms and I hated it. In this school we had to pay $1 to wear regular clothes on certain days of the year only acception being picture day. Sure uniforms make it easy so you don't have yo figure out what to wear or how to avoid being dress coded but if you forget a peice of the uniform you have a chance to dress coded either way.

• I totally agree, Students should be allowed to express themselves. It would also safe money for the school.

• I think students shoud be able to choose what they wear. I think students not having to wear uniforms right now is perfectly fine. I wouldn't like having to wear uniforms but if we had to I would strongly disagree with having to wear them. One because we are in a public school not a private school and they aren't needed. Wearing uniforms are not needed and I think it would upset alot of students.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker