Should Schools Have Metal Detectors?

Should school have metal detectors?

Schools have started putting in physical security measures such as metal detectors to make sure that students are not bringing in weapons or other metallic objects that could be used to hurt somebody in the school. This is done to help with decreasing school violence like stabbing or shootings. 

There are many different cons on why there shouldn’t be metal detectors in school. Metal Detectors can be very costly by purchasing and installing it in the school. These metal detectors can run all the way up to 10 - 20 grand. Also if there are metal detectors in the school then that means they will have to hire an officer that stands next to it if the alarm/ beeping sound goes off. There is not evidence that metal detectors are helpful in the school.

There are many different pros on why there should be metal detectors in the school. By having metal detectors it can help reduce the risk of dangerous items entering the school district. Also by installing a metal detector it would help the school's confidence.

https://protechsecurity.com/are-school-metal-detectors-necessary/

https://education.seattlepi.com/pros-cons-metal-detectors-schools-2420.html

https://edtrust.org/the-equity-line/its-time-to-reconsider-removing-metal-detectors-from-schools-now/

Do you think schools should have metal detectors?

Do you think metal detectors would help catch items?

Do you think metal detector is worth it in schools?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think that schools should have metal detectors because some students struggle and getting into school on time and it will take up more time. I think metal detectors would be worth we can use the money on something else for the school even when there would be metal on peoples clothes/ backpacks and it would take more time.

• I dont think the schools should get metal detectors because kids already struggle getting to school and class on time and it will take up more time. We could use that money for better things . It's not worth it especially with some of the clothes or stuff in people clothing it would go off. 

• I dont think we should have metal detectors in our school. Our school is muhc smaller than lots of other schools, so I don't think it would be necessary. These metal detectors also would cost quite a bit of money. In our school there aren't many problems with people bring harmful items to school.

• I don't think our school should have a metal detector. I think it would be very costly, and we don't have very many students as some other schools. I can see why bigger schools may need a metal detector though since they have more students. 

• No, I think that they should not have a metal detectors. I don't think that they need them unless something starts to happen. But otherwise I think that they should not have and metal detectors.

• I don't think that schools should have metal detectors unless it becomes an issue, and students start bringing hurtful items to school. As of now, I don't think that this is an issue at our school, so I think that we are better without metal detectors.

• I do not think students should have to go through metal detectors before entering the school. It will just take even more time away from students. And with Harlan being a smaller school, I don't see why it would be necessary.

• I don't think our school should waste their money on metal detecotors, because we are such a small school made up of small towns. I understand why bigger schools in bigger towns would. I think it would cause more problems then it would solve.

• I agree with I don't think it good idea it is defintitely waste of our school money. Also I agree with you because we are small school in small town so it really not like we need metal detector. I also agree with i think it would more problem then it would solve.

• I go back and forth with schools having metal detectors. I think it would be a great way to stop guns from coming into schools, but the metal detectors would pick up on so much in our backpacks. I think it would cause more problems than good. I don't think it is worth it in school.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker