Should Schools Have Metal Detectors?

Should school have metal detectors?

Schools have started putting in physical security measures such as metal detectors to make sure that students are not bringing in weapons or other metallic objects that could be used to hurt somebody in the school. This is done to help with decreasing school violence like stabbing or shootings. 

There are many different cons on why there shouldn’t be metal detectors in school. Metal Detectors can be very costly by purchasing and installing it in the school. These metal detectors can run all the way up to 10 - 20 grand. Also if there are metal detectors in the school then that means they will have to hire an officer that stands next to it if the alarm/ beeping sound goes off. There is not evidence that metal detectors are helpful in the school.

There are many different pros on why there should be metal detectors in the school. By having metal detectors it can help reduce the risk of dangerous items entering the school district. Also by installing a metal detector it would help the school's confidence.

https://protechsecurity.com/are-school-metal-detectors-necessary/

https://education.seattlepi.com/pros-cons-metal-detectors-schools-2420.html

https://edtrust.org/the-equity-line/its-time-to-reconsider-removing-metal-detectors-from-schools-now/

Do you think schools should have metal detectors?

Do you think metal detectors would help catch items?

Do you think metal detector is worth it in schools?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you I also think it would be a great way to stop guns from coming in the school. But like you said it would possibly pick something out of our backpack that will set it off. I also agree with you I think it would cause more problem than good too.

• I dont think our school is big enough for security and metal detectors. IF a school is bigger and has more violence in their schools then they should be able to have metal detectors. I think that it would help the risks of school shootings but our school is too small for them.

• I agree with you i don't think our school is big enough for metal detector. Like you said if the school was bigger and had more violence then it would be smarter to have metal detector. I also agree with on how you said it will help risk of school shooting.

• I don't think that metal detectors should be put into schools. walking through with your backpack and your school supplies would set it off by itself. It would catch random metal objects in your bag. I wish this wouldn't even need to be in question, and that schools could be a safe place.

• I agree with you I don't think have metal detector in schools would be helpful like you said if you walk through with your backpack then some supplies might set them off. 

• I think that metal detectors might make sense in schools where there is a need/reason to increase security. For example, at rather small schools I don't think that the effort to get metal detectors woud overweight the increased security. 

• I understand metal detectors in big schools and big cities, but I don't understand them in small schools in small towns. I think that with higher populations in student bodies there is a threat of potential violence, but in schools where everyone knows everyone, there is no need for them. 

• I think that people will find other ways to injure another person, and it is really expensive. I think that metal detectors will catch metal items, including belt buckles ,keychains, steel-toed shoes, and it would waste lots of people times. And even if schools were going to, they would probably have to put one in every door

• In my opinon I don't belive that school should have metal detectors because if someone really wanted to bring some like a knife in that would just bring a plastic one instead. I beilve that people will always find a way to hurt others, and I don't think the metal detector would be worth the money to the school.

• I don't think schools should have metal detectors, which may stop the vapers in the school. Metal detectors would help catch the illegal products some students bring into the school. However, metal detectors aren't worth it in schools. Not only do they cost quite a bit, but they also slow down students trying to get to class on time. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker