Should Schools Have Metal Detectors?

Should school have metal detectors?

Schools have started putting in physical security measures such as metal detectors to make sure that students are not bringing in weapons or other metallic objects that could be used to hurt somebody in the school. This is done to help with decreasing school violence like stabbing or shootings. 

There are many different cons on why there shouldn’t be metal detectors in school. Metal Detectors can be very costly by purchasing and installing it in the school. These metal detectors can run all the way up to 10 - 20 grand. Also if there are metal detectors in the school then that means they will have to hire an officer that stands next to it if the alarm/ beeping sound goes off. There is not evidence that metal detectors are helpful in the school.

There are many different pros on why there should be metal detectors in the school. By having metal detectors it can help reduce the risk of dangerous items entering the school district. Also by installing a metal detector it would help the school's confidence.

https://protechsecurity.com/are-school-metal-detectors-necessary/

https://education.seattlepi.com/pros-cons-metal-detectors-schools-2420.html

https://edtrust.org/the-equity-line/its-time-to-reconsider-removing-metal-detectors-from-schools-now/

Do you think schools should have metal detectors?

Do you think metal detectors would help catch items?

Do you think metal detector is worth it in schools?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think we should have metal detectors in the school. Our school doesn't have a problem with people bringing items and weapons that shouldn't be allowed in schools so there would really be no point. In other schools like in Chicago or Atlanta it would be useful, but not here. 

• No, I dont think schools should have metal detectors. Because, kids have a lot of metal already in there bags and many kids would also be able to go around it and if they wanted to get something in the school they would. I think having metal detectors is just a waste of time because there is so much metal in your bags that everytime you go through it someone would have to search your bag. 

• In my opinion, I don't think the school should have metal detectors for a couple of reasons. First, if our school had a history with kids bringing in stuff to school or if we had a violent community. Yes I think metal detector would help catch some items maybe, but it would also catch a lot of other things that aren't harmful.

• In my opion I don't belive that school should have metal detectors because if someone really wanted to bring some like a knife in that would just bring a plastic one instead. I beilve that people will always find a way to hurt others, and I don't think the metal detector would be worth the money to the school.

• In my opinion, I think that having metal detectors are a good thing to have in schools because it would keep hurtful objects out of school. Some people always carry knives on then and they forget to take them out of there pockets before coming into school. If someone gets ahold of it, it won't always turn out well.

• In my opion it is not neccesary for school to have metal dectors, kids should just be normal kids and don't bring any dumb stuff into the building. If you notice a kids acting strange then you should go and investigate, that why we have school cops that walk the hallways.

• I do not think it is neccesary for the school to have metal dectors. Nobody is going to stand around and scan kids when they walk in the door. It is pretty pointless to to that. Maybe I could see it in a rougher community with violence. Metal detectors are not worth it and waste our tax money.

• I do not think schools should have metal detectors. Students should not have to go through a metal detector everyday before they enter the school. This can be a hassle and could be partly tramatizing for students. Although it may partly help, not many students are bringing items into school that would be dangerous. It is not worth it.

• I agree with you I don't think school should have metal detectors. I also agree with you i don't think a student want to walk through metal detector every single day just to get into school. Like you said it may help a little but not a lot.

• I think that having metal detectors are a good idea because they can keep unwanted objects out of schools and prevent the chance of people getting injured. Even though they are worth it, it can be a hassle for students. At schools that do have metal detectors students stand in line at the begging of the day to get scanned for over 30 mins which cuts into their learning time.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker