Should School Uniforms Be Required?

How long have uniforms been required in schools? Well in fact, school uniforms have been seen in schools since 1222. They started in a school in England, but their school uniforms weren’t like modern uniforms, they had to wear a robe-type outfit called a cappa-clausa. After this, school uniforms started to become more popular throughout private schools, but what about public schools? School uniforms should not be required in public schools because it takes away the students' individuality, and creativity.

I can understand the argument for why we should have school uniforms, but the monotony may be boring to the students’ minds. It’s already hard enough to stay focused in some classes, let alone if you were wearing something that you found uncomfortable. The diversity in clothing choices of the students’ gives character. People may argue that students are pressured to fit in with name brand clothing, and trendy styles. This may be true in some cases, but that’s why the staff influence the students’ to think for themselves and to express them for who they truly are.

School uniforms have been around for a very long time. Some may say that we should keep them around, as some sort of tradition. The world evolves and people change. In my personal opinion, this is a movement that should be stopped. School uniforms remove the students’ originality and distinction.

Do you think school uniforms should be required? Why?

If they were required, what would your biggest complaint be?

Why do you like being able to choose your own outfits?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think in private schools or schools that have extremely hard requirements  to get into like Harvard, can have school uniforms but for public schools I don't think it would be a fair option to do so. If they were required, I would probuably complain about how tight/uncomphortable it can be.

• I don't think that school uniforms should be required. I think that takes away our personality and our rights. I think that we should be able to wear whatever we want but with some restrictions, like the school dress code. As long as the students follow that it will and should be fine.

• No uniforms are not nessicary and are stupid in my own opnion nobody should have to wear something that is not important just to go to a place where they do not like and have to stand being there with a School uniform on.

• I agree with you, this could be inconvenient for the students who have to go to places or do activities after school. I don't think anybody should have to wear anything that they don't want to. It takes away our freedom of expression.

• In my opinion, I think school uniforms should not be required. If they were required I think it would help manage the dress code, but no one could dress how the want. I enjoy being able to wear what I want to school, and I would hate if we had uniforms.

• I agree with you, I would hate having to wear uniforms, and most likely uncomfortable ones. I like being able to choose my outfit and whether I want to dress up or down, and just be comfortable throughout the day.

• I believe we should not be required school uniforms. I understand the benifits from not having them, but I have not seen any of the benifits happen here. Even so if people dont like what others wear they should just keep thier opinions to themselfs. Not only that but some uniforms don't look good and can be very uncomfortable. 

• I agree, I feel like instead of trying to come up with solutions so students don't get made fun of, why don't we just teach the students not to do that. I know many could argue that we do, but I feel they're doing the bare minimum to get by and say that we have a bullying prevention program.

• In my personal opinion, I do not think that school uniforms should be required. Although I can see the benefits that would cause an administration to want to enforce uniforms, I think that it is an unnecessary step that would most likely cause more problems then it would solve.

• I agree with you, I feel like people don't take into consideration a lot of the problems that this would cause. Yeah there are a few things that it could help, but I don't think they would be as beneficial as many may think.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker