Should School Uniforms Be Required?

How long have uniforms been required in schools? Well in fact, school uniforms have been seen in schools since 1222. They started in a school in England, but their school uniforms weren’t like modern uniforms, they had to wear a robe-type outfit called a cappa-clausa. After this, school uniforms started to become more popular throughout private schools, but what about public schools? School uniforms should not be required in public schools because it takes away the students' individuality, and creativity.

I can understand the argument for why we should have school uniforms, but the monotony may be boring to the students’ minds. It’s already hard enough to stay focused in some classes, let alone if you were wearing something that you found uncomfortable. The diversity in clothing choices of the students’ gives character. People may argue that students are pressured to fit in with name brand clothing, and trendy styles. This may be true in some cases, but that’s why the staff influence the students’ to think for themselves and to express them for who they truly are.

School uniforms have been around for a very long time. Some may say that we should keep them around, as some sort of tradition. The world evolves and people change. In my personal opinion, this is a movement that should be stopped. School uniforms remove the students’ originality and distinction.

Do you think school uniforms should be required? Why?

If they were required, what would your biggest complaint be?

Why do you like being able to choose your own outfits?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do not think they should be required because some kids don't live in the best environment and then it wont get washed, and it could get tore up and then what? My biggest complaint would be wearing it because im sure it wouldnt be the most comfortable.

• I agree with you, I think it would already be difficult enough trying to put all of this into place let alone the replacement process. I also agree with you on your biggest complaint with having them would be wearing them. I'm sure they aren't the most comfortable material and they would more likely strive for durable, so the comfort level of these uniforms would be unsettling.

• I don't think that school uniforms should be required. Many people express themselves with their clothes and a school uniform would take that away from them. I also think that you're more comfortable in your own clothes and it is important to be comfortable in order to learn and stay focused effectively. 

• I agree with you, school is already boring enough for me as it is, let alone wearing something I would find uncomfortable. If the schools main goal is for us to learn then why would they need to take away our privelege of expression.

• I do not think that school uniforms should be required. School uniforms are very expensive and lots of familes might not be able to afford them, so is the school going to buy them for everyone who cant? I think people like to wear what they wear now, some people like to dress down and some dress up.

• I agree with you, I think the students appreciate being able to choose what they want to wear, and I personally like to be able to choose my clothes based on price, so if I were forced to buy these clothes and wear them everyday for my entire childhood education, I personally wouldn't be too happy.

• I do not think that school uniforms should be required. I believe that people should be able to wear the clothes your want. I think that you should be able to express yourself through their clothing. I think the biggest complaint would be that it would be uncomfortable. 

• I agree with you, and the many other people that have said this. I think with how many people they have to supply these uniforms to, that they wouldn't be necessarily comfortable. As much as everybody else I like being able to choose my own outfits.

• In my opinion school uniforms shouldn't be required eventhough I think they have possitive aspects. You don't have to choose your clothes every day so you wouldn't need as many clothes as if you don't wear a uniform. They also help self confidence for some people who don't like showing their own style.  I think my biggest complain would be that they are not always comfortable and I like being able to choose my outfit every day.

• I agree with you, there are many pros to having school uniforms. I think the confidence in the students would be a big one, even though many students might not like the way the uniform looks on them, I think it would be beneficial to the majority.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker