Should school start later?

Should school start later?

There are only 17% of U.S high schools that start at 8:30 am or later. There have been many studies why schools should start later. If schools start later than studies show that graduation rates go up. There was a study done by University of Minnesota in 2016 that showed they looked at 8 different high schools across the U.S that picked out later start times, from 8 am to 8:55 am. Study found big decreases in absences and tardiness, also greater academic benefits with later start times. According to the CDC school starts too early causing students not getting enough sleep which is associated with several health risks including being overweight, drinking alcohol, using drugs, and poor academic performance. Starting school later would also help students with getting the amount of sleep they need. There were studies done by University of Washington that showed if teens get more sleep, show improved grades and attendance with later school time, researchers found. 

Pros: Starting school later could help reduce the amount of time kids or teens are left alone due to their parents working schedule. It will also help reduce caffeine dependence. There are students out there that will drink a lot of coffee and energy drinks that can cause long term side effects like severe dehydration, chronic pain attack, and high levels of adrenaline and cortisol. Another pro would be that it would give students a chance to eat breakfast and not be in a hurry. The last pro for school starting later would be it reduces the amount of car accidents for teens. According to AAA teen driver drowsiness is responsible for 100,000 car accidents every year.

Cons: Starting school later could cause some issues with the student schedule. It will cause some transportation problems for the school districts. Another con would be cause some issue with teens that have after school jobs that require them to be there at certain times. Starting school later could cause students to not get their homework done or stress them out to do it the next morning.  Another reason is it could cause teens to stay up later at night. Lastly it would alter the teacher schedule especially if they have doctors appointments or family time.

Do you think starting school later is good idea?

What time would you want school to start?

Do you think it would change the students absences and tardness?

https://vittana.org/19-should-school-start-later-in-the-morning-pros-and-cons

https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/features/schools-start-too-early.html#:~:text=According%20to%20the%202014%20School,started%20before%208%3A30%20a.m.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0031721716681770

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes I think that we should start school later than 8:00 because we need more sleep, I would like school to start at 8:30 or 8:45 and yes I think it would change the absences and tardis because people would be able to get more sleep 

• I think that it might be better for school to start like 45minutes-1hour later. It gives students more time to get ready and can give them time for their brains to wake up to prevent more car accidents in teens. Starting later also gives kids and parents to have more time together as a family since their schedules from getting out of school and off work would be closer. 

• I don't agree that school should start later because I don't want to stay later. I am perfectly fine with school starting at 8 and ending at 3. I am tired almost all day but I'm fine with that. I don't think that it will change the tardiness and absences unless people get more doctor and dentist visits after school. 

• I agree with you, I don't think school should start later either. I think going to school at 8am is fine and leaving at 3pm is fine. I also agree, that it wouldn't change the tardiness or absences.

• what about snow/weather people will always have car issues in cold weather and starting later means getting up later which means... yatta yatta yatta then there is car issues. TARDIE !so short term is that even though the time slot for school shifts the effort and inconveiniences need to change too

• I think school starting at 8 isn't a very bad time too start.  How much sleep a student gets depends on the student. Starting school at 8 is a reasonable time, If school started later the days would end at 4 or later. The absences are up to the students if they can get here on time or not.

• I agree with you starting school at 8 is not bad at all. It is also true that if school start later the time for leaving school would be longer.

• I think that the school should not start late. I think school starting at eight is fine and no probelms. I think that if school started late the days will be longer since the school time they start is late.

• I agree with you I think starting school not later. I also think starting at 8 is fine and no problems too. But there are always kids that need more time and sleep.

• I think that school starting at 8:00 is a good time, if we started much later then 8:00 then school would have to later i the day witch means that we would have to stay up later to get things like homework done. Most high schoolers have after school jobs. Most teens have about an hour befor work after school, If you start school early then that gap will be closed.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker