Should school start later?

Should school start later?

There are only 17% of U.S high schools that start at 8:30 am or later. There have been many studies why schools should start later. If schools start later than studies show that graduation rates go up. There was a study done by University of Minnesota in 2016 that showed they looked at 8 different high schools across the U.S that picked out later start times, from 8 am to 8:55 am. Study found big decreases in absences and tardiness, also greater academic benefits with later start times. According to the CDC school starts too early causing students not getting enough sleep which is associated with several health risks including being overweight, drinking alcohol, using drugs, and poor academic performance. Starting school later would also help students with getting the amount of sleep they need. There were studies done by University of Washington that showed if teens get more sleep, show improved grades and attendance with later school time, researchers found. 

Pros: Starting school later could help reduce the amount of time kids or teens are left alone due to their parents working schedule. It will also help reduce caffeine dependence. There are students out there that will drink a lot of coffee and energy drinks that can cause long term side effects like severe dehydration, chronic pain attack, and high levels of adrenaline and cortisol. Another pro would be that it would give students a chance to eat breakfast and not be in a hurry. The last pro for school starting later would be it reduces the amount of car accidents for teens. According to AAA teen driver drowsiness is responsible for 100,000 car accidents every year.

Cons: Starting school later could cause some issues with the student schedule. It will cause some transportation problems for the school districts. Another con would be cause some issue with teens that have after school jobs that require them to be there at certain times. Starting school later could cause students to not get their homework done or stress them out to do it the next morning.  Another reason is it could cause teens to stay up later at night. Lastly it would alter the teacher schedule especially if they have doctors appointments or family time.

Do you think starting school later is good idea?

What time would you want school to start?

Do you think it would change the students absences and tardness?

https://vittana.org/19-should-school-start-later-in-the-morning-pros-and-cons

https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/features/schools-start-too-early.html#:~:text=According%20to%20the%202014%20School,started%20before%208%3A30%20a.m.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0031721716681770

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you like you said if school started later that you would feel more ready to learn and feel like you have enough sleep to be able to learn. 

• I would love it if school started later. But if school starts later it's going to have to get out later which means that you would have less time before school. Plus school events like football games would last later into the night.

• I agree with you like you said if you started school later that mean you get out later which means that you would have less time to get homework done. Like you also said sport practices would last later into the night.

• I think schools starting later is a good idea because student tend to be tired and sleepy during the first few periods of school. This can cause them to not listen, fall asleep in class, and get distracted. If I were to change the time school starts, I would change it to 9:00 AM instead of 8:00 AM. I believe that there would be less tardies if school were to start later.

• I think if we had to start later 9am is good time but you got to think about people that have after school or sports. 

• I don't think that school should start later. In my opinion, 8am is a pretty good time to start school. If it starts later, the school day will also last longer in the afternoon. And I think that this isn't good. Students need that time in the afternoon for homework, work or after school activities. 

• I agree with you I think 8am is pretty good time to start school at. Like you said if school start later the school day will also last longer in the afternoon. I also agree with student need time in the afternoon for homework, work, or after school activities.

• I think school should start later becuase it gives more time for students to have a little bit more time of sleep and time in the morning. Personally, I think school should start roughly about an hour later. I think it would change students absences because students would have time in the morning to get ready and be able to get to school early.

• I agree with you it does give student more time of sleep and time in the morning to get ready. I also agree with you that school should start an hour later then 8 am. 

• I think that we shouldnt change the time because many people have jobs or sports afterschool so you would be taking time away from those. I feel like many people go to bed late for no reason of are up playing video games or wtching tik toks.  So I think that they should jest go to bed earlier instead of waking up later and getting off a good schedule. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker