Should school days be shorter?

Every week students are going to school almost 40 hours every week (8 hours, 5 days a week). Students also start their day very early in the morning When students are in school for longer they are able to learn more and they would have more time to get their homework done, but then teachers, some days have lessons that can take the whole 43 mins to give the lesson and leave no time to get homework done. Some students struggle to balance their life outside of school and school-work. Some students tend to put sports and their lifestyle and “not” have time to do their homework.  So shorter days for students would give them more time to balance school and their life outside of school. 

On the other hand, shortening school days would force schools to extend the days students are in school. In Iowa a student is required to be in school for atleast 1,080 hours every school year. Shortening days will only benefit the students that have sports and jobs after school and not those who have nothing. Shortening days for students affects all students not just high school and middle school students but kids in Primary and Intermediate too. Shortening these days can put many families in financial stress and really be draining for everyone in that family and parents will have a tough time finding someone to transport and care for their young child. 

I get that school takes up a lot of time out of everyones day but students should have responsibility to get their homework done and balance their life outside of school. I believe that school should stay the same duration of hours that it is now. As i stated earlier shortening school effects all students and puts families into financial stress and shortening school is very selfish for those struggling as is with school being 8 hours. 

Do you think school days should be shortened?

What would you think if our school shortened the days? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• In my personal opinion, I do not think that school days should be any shorter than what they currently are. I think that if we were to shorten the school days, we would just have to go to school for more days. I personally would not be very happy is our school shortened the school day because I do not want to have to go to school in the summer.

• In my opinion, school days should not be shorter if they will just add more school days to the year. If this weren't the case, I would want shorter school days. This is because there are certain times in school, like study hall or WIN time, where I feel that it's more just to keep me in school rather than educational. Shorter days would also give students that are busy after school more leniency and relieve some stress.

• I think that schools should have shorter days, I think it would really benefit students if days were shorter. Not only would it give students more time to complete homework out side of the school. It would also give students more sleep witch could help with stress levels in a student's life.

• no because we would just have to make up that time later and we would just have a longer school year 

• I think that school days should not be shortened because we have to meet a certain number of hours. If the days were shortened, then we would have to go for longer, and we would be in school during the summer. I do not want school in the summer, so the days shouldn't be shortened. 

• i think school says should be shortened so we will have time for family, extra curricular activities, and relaxing time to ourselves. There are also people that work right after school and don't have nay time to do homework. If school days were shortened by two hours, there would be time for homework, work, and family time.

• I don't agree, shortening days causes stress for all students, teachers and parents 

• I think school is fine the way it is now, or I agree with logan, doing what other schools do with an early out on wendsdays.  I think with the amount of homework we get now is not an overwhelming amout, if you have a study hall and some time at night you can get your homework done.

• I agree, wednesday early outs would be very effective but hard for those who are finacially struggling 

• I think school days should only be 3-5 hours everyday. We would have so much more time for homework and extra things. And i wouldn't have to worry abour rushing home after school for work. I think our schools early outs are good and benefical. Honestly I feel like everyday we should get out at 1pm. It would balance out my plate alot more.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker