Should school days be shorter?

Every week students are going to school almost 40 hours every week (8 hours, 5 days a week). Students also start their day very early in the morning When students are in school for longer they are able to learn more and they would have more time to get their homework done, but then teachers, some days have lessons that can take the whole 43 mins to give the lesson and leave no time to get homework done. Some students struggle to balance their life outside of school and school-work. Some students tend to put sports and their lifestyle and “not” have time to do their homework.  So shorter days for students would give them more time to balance school and their life outside of school. 

On the other hand, shortening school days would force schools to extend the days students are in school. In Iowa a student is required to be in school for atleast 1,080 hours every school year. Shortening days will only benefit the students that have sports and jobs after school and not those who have nothing. Shortening days for students affects all students not just high school and middle school students but kids in Primary and Intermediate too. Shortening these days can put many families in financial stress and really be draining for everyone in that family and parents will have a tough time finding someone to transport and care for their young child. 

I get that school takes up a lot of time out of everyones day but students should have responsibility to get their homework done and balance their life outside of school. I believe that school should stay the same duration of hours that it is now. As i stated earlier shortening school effects all students and puts families into financial stress and shortening school is very selfish for those struggling as is with school being 8 hours. 

Do you think school days should be shortened?

What would you think if our school shortened the days? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I believe that the school days should be shortened at least 30 minutes so we would be out of school at 2:30 instead of 3:00. Although I would like it if there wasn't school during the summer but if you had more time at the end of the day then when you get home I wouldn't be mad at all because I know many people that are so drained when they get home they dont want to do anything.

• Our school days have already been shortened by 30 mins, therefore it would be very difficult for students and teachers to adjust to the amount of time they have to teach/take in whats being tought 

• In my opinion, I think it would be nice to have shorter days, but I think it would cause some issues.  I think it would be nice so if you have a job you can pick up extra hours. But I don't think it wouldn't help overall, it would cause more stress for students and teachers. 

• I agree, it causes so much stress for teachers and students because its such a different schudule for all those in the district 

• I think that the school hours are perfectly fine where they are, because if we have shorter days then we are in school longer. I would rather stay in school longer than having the school year go into the summer. The school days are not even that long anyway. 

• I agree, the amount of time we are in school is fairly reasonable and students just need to be more responible with their outside school life. 

• I think school should be shortened to like half the time it is now. We could spend less time on doing silly subejcts and if we just did what we needed to we would be done early. I think that four hours of school would be plenty. It would give us more time to work and do other things.

• I agree but like i stated in my paragraph this effects everyone in the district so it would be very difficult for teachers and younger students. 

• I would love to have shortened days but only if it meant we didnt stay in school past june. There are some school that start school at like 8:30 and get out at 3:00 and even that sort of change would be good. or the other way, 8:00 - 2:30. Even a 30 minute difference would help. Like I said though, only if we still get out for summer before June. 

• I agree but our school already went 30mins shorter but they did it very slow because its so tough for the younger students and teachers to adjust to the new get-out time 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker