Should school days be shorter?

Every week students are going to school almost 40 hours every week (8 hours, 5 days a week). Students also start their day very early in the morning When students are in school for longer they are able to learn more and they would have more time to get their homework done, but then teachers, some days have lessons that can take the whole 43 mins to give the lesson and leave no time to get homework done. Some students struggle to balance their life outside of school and school-work. Some students tend to put sports and their lifestyle and “not” have time to do their homework.  So shorter days for students would give them more time to balance school and their life outside of school. 

On the other hand, shortening school days would force schools to extend the days students are in school. In Iowa a student is required to be in school for atleast 1,080 hours every school year. Shortening days will only benefit the students that have sports and jobs after school and not those who have nothing. Shortening days for students affects all students not just high school and middle school students but kids in Primary and Intermediate too. Shortening these days can put many families in financial stress and really be draining for everyone in that family and parents will have a tough time finding someone to transport and care for their young child. 

I get that school takes up a lot of time out of everyones day but students should have responsibility to get their homework done and balance their life outside of school. I believe that school should stay the same duration of hours that it is now. As i stated earlier shortening school effects all students and puts families into financial stress and shortening school is very selfish for those struggling as is with school being 8 hours. 

Do you think school days should be shortened?

What would you think if our school shortened the days? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• It would be really nice if the school days were shorter. Only if the school wouldn't add up to make the school year longer. If they did shorten the days it would help a lot of kids with schooling and sports after school. I do think we don't have as much time to do other things outside of school. 

• I agree, the shorter days would take up lots of the 2 month period we have during summer

• No I do not think that school days should be shorter. I think that it gets us ready for a real job.  A job usually lasts from 9 to 5.  I dislike the long school day just as much as anyone else. However, I think that it is necissary to have that long of a school day. It will help us get ready for our future.

• I agree, many  won't learn to work a 9-5 if the school day is shorter

• It would be nice to have shorter days. However, I don't think we should shorten the school days. Not only will it cut into our summer break, but we will have to be in school for much longer. It would be nice to get a break from school, but I don't think I would like it. 

• I agree, summer break would be a lot shorter because of the shorter school days 

• I personally think that the school day shouldn't be shortened, even though it would be nice it would cause some problems. I believe the forty-five-minute class period is a reasonable amount of time per class. Although it would be nice if the school day is shorter, but we would have to make up that lost time by extra days at the end of the year which isn't worth it in my opinion. 

• I agree, all students love their summer break and having shorter days would not allow them to have that 2 months off

• No, I think the length of the school day is a pretty good amount. We get 45-minute class periods and I think that's a good amount of time for each class. Therefore, I don't think the day should be shorter. If it was shorter, I don't think we would have enough time to learn, after all, what we learn about and how smart we are will really effect our future.

• I agree, shortening days can cause so much problems among so many people 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker