Should passing periods be longer?

In todays school day, we get 3 minutes to get from one class to another. Some would say that is plenty of time to get from class to class, others would say that it is not nearly enough time in case of having to go to the bathroom or staying after class to talk to a teacher.

Having 3 minutes gives you just about enough time to get to your class, especially if you are downstairs and have to go upstairs. There isn't time to go to the bathroom, stop in the office, or talk to a teacher. The hallways are always crowded as well as the stairs. Trying to get to a class and if you are having to stop somewhere is almost impossible to do without a tardy.

Others would say giving students more time in between classes could cause problems. Giving students more time to mess around in the bathroom or in classrooms, and some students would still be late. Students could go to the bathroom when they get into their class, but then they start taking up class time. I think 5 to 6 minutes is just enough time to get from class to class, especially when you are downstairs and have to go upstairs, and if you have to stop somewhere or get held back in a class to talk to a teacher.

Do you think passing periods should be longer? If so, how long do you think they should be?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and well done overall Abby! I do think your summary could be longer as I am looing for about half a page paper. Your questions make sense but it does make it hard for you to reply back with meaningful comments back to students.

• I don't think that they should be longer because in some schools kids waste their time by "going to the bathroom" but they really aren't. Also kids waste their time during classes too so I don't think that passing periods should be longer becuase some kids don't use it for the right things.

• I think that we should have longer passing periods maybe like 5 or 6 mintues because that would not make people feel as rushed if they had to go to the bathroom or fill there water bottle. I truely think that 3 minutes is not enough time in between classes because you are rushing to get from one place to the next.

• I agree that 5 to 6 mintues would be perfect. It's enough time to allow for talking to a teacher or using the bathroom, but not too much time to the point where people are causing problems because they don't know what to do during that time.

• I think we should have longer passing periods. Because some people have classes on the other side of the school. I have also heard on many different times that teachers don't like when we are late for different reasons. Also it would give us more time to use the bathroom.

• I honestly think 3 minutes is enough. I feel I have plenty of time to get to a class or use the restroom in between. I do think lots of people show up late to class because of it. But it's usually not cause they don't have enough time, there usually talking to friends or something. Plus it works better with the 7 hour schedule schools use. 

• I agree because since we mess around in the halls and you give us more time then maybe we wouldnt be so up to get up and mess around in the middle of class. If you start to give us that time between class then their would be no reason you wouldnt make it to class on time or have to use the bathroom unless you got held back until the bell was about to ring.

• I think that the passing period should be longer but shouldn't be about 6 mins. Lots of students miss the beginning of class or they get a tardy because they don't have enough time to fill water bottles or use the restroom. I do believe that is shouldn't be too long because there are the kind of students that mess around and ruin it for others.

• I think passing periods should be a little longer. However I don't think that they should be a lot longer then they already are now. I think that passing periods should be just long enough for student to fill up their water bottle, use the restroom, etc., without missing the beginning of class.

• I think passing periods should be longer because of students that have classes all the wat across the school. Some students have to go up and down and all the way across the school. I think passing period should be at least 5 minutes long.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker