Should Netflix be sued for the Jeffrey Dahmer show?

If you've been on Netflix lately you have probably heard of the show, “The Jeffrey Dahmer Story”. This is a show about a psychotic, murderer, caniball, who killed and ate over 17 males. They Did a very good job at explaining and showing how Jeff grew up and survived and they told his story very well. But not everyone was pleased with this show. Rita Isbell, the sister of a man Jeff had killed, is suing Netflix for making this series and saying they're just trying to make money out of a tragedy. Personally I find this show very interesting and I do not think they should take it down but I see her point of view too.

I understand her anger and how this show on netflix could be bringing back some PTSD, from her brother being murdered. but I also think it could also be a good thing to tell the world about these innocent people who were killed and just forgotten about, and also so many more people know exactly how much of a monster Jeffery Dahmer is. 

Rita described how she tried watching the show on netflix but couldn’t get through. Having to see her actor play Rita saying the words she said and reenacting the emotion and pain she had up there talking about her brother who was killed. Rita ends with saying she does not want this show on netflix anymore and doesn’t think it’s right to have made a show about it. She also dislikes that Netflix made her an actor without getting her permission first. Rita said watching her part at the court made her feel like she was right back in 1994 grieving her brother's death. 

Do you think Netflix should be sued?

How do you feel about Netflix making this show?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/jeffrey-dahmer-netflix-tv-show-victim-family-speaks-out-1235228196/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice Lukas! Your summary is also well done. Be sure to reply more frequently as you only replied three times.

• I don't think Netflix should exactly be sued for this show, but they should be made aware of their actions. Many people do enjoy the show, but some people such as the familes of the victoms may find it disrespectful that shows are still being made about them. 

• If she doesn't like the show then why would she try and watch it. She can avoid those feelings. It's to educate people. Now a days people are into watching movies over reading. I thought that the show was really good and they describe him as a monster and clearly show that what happened wasn't good. 

• Yes I think they should be in trouble but not necassarilly sued. I have not watched the show personally but I know enough of the story and know that it is not right at all. It's not productive at all and kids, especially younger ones don't need to see that kind of stuff.

• I believe that Netflex shouldn't be sued. I think it shouldnt because of how much people are intersted in to it. Although I think that they should of asked the ladie if someone could of acted for her instead of doing it with out permission. I think that Netflix did good on this.

• Yes this woman has the right to sue netflix not for the trauma but for them using her as a character without her consent. I don't know why netflix didn't just ask her if they could use her as a character because they could have avoided a massive case. I think netflix has the right to have this show because it can educate people on what horrible things he did.

• I don't think netflix should get sued over it or it get taken down because before this came out i had never heard of him before, so i think netflix making the show was a way to inform people about him. but i do get where shes coming from and like you said it is probably causing ptsd for her and others.

• I don't necessarily think that the show should be sued, but I do understand her perspective on it. I know the show would trouble me if my sibling was involved in the accident. I haven't watched the show yet, but I think it could make people remember the ones who were killed.

• I don't believe that netflix should be sued for making the show about how he grew up and what he did. Netflix isn't in the wrong for making this show they did an amazing job on making it and If you're family member was a victim it is understandable to wanna sue.

• I don't think that they should be sued at all for making the tv show. I feel as a lot of watchers and users of netflix have been enjoying watching the new show on what actually happend with jeffery. I feel netflix insn't in the wrong for making this show at all i feel it is a good show. It also has the real jeffery not some actor it shows what happend and the history of it .

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker