Should men get paternity leave from work?

Should men get paternity leave from work?

Should men get to go on paternity leave? As mentioned by Linkedin, new fathers should take off a good chunk of time to get used to being a father and to help their wives. The median length of leave for fathers in the U.S. is about one week, compared to 11 weeks for mothers. But according to the U.S Department of Labor, around 70% of men only take 10 days or less for parental leave. 

Most people feel that men should keep going to work after their kid is born, because if they stay home for a whole month, where is their monthly income coming from? I feel like it’s a life-changing experience for both the father and the mother, most people may think it is a bigger deal for the mother than the father but they’re wrong. They should both get an equal amount of time off to spend with their newborn. 

Do you think men should get longer paternity leave? 

Does the birth of a child only impact the female? Why or why not?

Sources: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/should-men-required-take-paternity-leave-dan-schawbel?trk=pulse-article_more-articles_related-content-card

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shelleyzalis/2018/05/03/why-mandatory-parental-leave-is-good-for-business/?sh=533d74a9dedb

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice Clara! Your summary is brief overall and you should have replied more frequently as well.

• I think men should get longer paternity leave. This is because I have seen mothers struggle trying to take care of their new child while the father has to be away at work. There are ways that men could be affected by the birth of a child. They meet the child they helped make, and he gets to hold the baby for the first time. Not only that, but both parents can get emotional.

• I think that men should have gotten a longer paternity leave, but not as long as the mother. Women go through a lot more when giving birth and need time off to recover. I think men should get some time off to take care of their wives and child but not as long as the mom. 

• I think that men should also have paternity leave. They need to be home spending time with their families and helping their partner while they're recovering from birth. Having a baby is a life changing experience and you need to get aquanted to your new life and spent time away from work.

• I think that men should get paternity leave. What if they are a new dad and the mom passes away while giving birth. he is going to have to take time off to take care of that kid. I think they should have it but not as long as the moms. Moms have to have time to recover too. 

• I think men should be able to have paternity leave. It would be so much help to the mother that just had a baby, also It would give the dad more time to spend with his baby. I don't think it should be as long as the mother, but enough time to help the mother out.

• I think that men should get paternity leave. I think it is important for the father to be around to help the mother, especially during postpartum, and to bond with the baby. There is only so much someone can take by themselves before it gets to be too much, helping the women adjust to the schedule and just helping around is good. 

• I think men should get paternity leave. I fhtese men can get time off it will help the mother not have to worry about so much. This break will also give the man time to spend quailty time with his child, and relax after the last 9 months.

• I think that men should get paternity leave. I say this because after a woman pushes a 5-8 pound baby out or has a major surgery where they cut threw multiple layers to get a baby out they deserve a helping hand. It would also give the father and baby time to bond.

• I think that men should have get a longer paternity leave, but not as long as the the mother. Women go through a lot more when giving birth and need time off to recover. I think men should get some time off to take care of their wife and child but not as long as the mom. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker